4H Project Birds...not what we thought. HELP!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by keiserfarms, Jul 24, 2014.

1. keiserfarms

keiserfarms New Egg

Jul 24, 2014
    I have two of our four banties we picked up from TSC this Spring that I am having a hard time identifying. (We were waiting for specific eggs to hatch and at the last minute found out the breeder was not doing business this year so we (I) panicked and hit up TSC.)

I don't know if they are Dutch, Campines (we have gotten standard sized in the exact same colors from TSC in the past), or some other mystery bird. I looked at TSC's website but they only list the bantams as a variety; they do not list the possibilities. Out of the four banties we picked out we got a pair of Fleur de'uccles (which was a really pleasant surprise!). I included pictures of them just for fun!

Picture 1: I question if this is a cockerel or pullet.
    [​IMG]

Picture 2: My silly Fleur cockerel.
    [​IMG]

Picture 3: Fleur pullet and mystery pullet in background.
    [​IMG]

Picture 4: Mystery Pullet (No white lobes and her comb is tiny but not a rose comb.)
    [​IMG]

Picture 5: The mystery pair....can you see why I think there is a gender difference. Absolutely no cockerel behavior but that could be because of the Fleur cockerel who has come into his manhood with confidence.
    [​IMG]

So, we have county fair coming up and I have waited for them to mature as long as I can...what are your opinions on breed and sex? Both will be used for showmanship so we really need to know what they are!

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCED!!!!!

2. luvmypets

luvmypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    Youre mystery pair looks like a phoenix hen (white) and a brown leghorn hen possibly,she has a large comb

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  3. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    The one you are questioning the sex of is a pullet. Her coloring is the "wild type" coloring where the hen is brown and gold and the rooster is black and red like the ones below. She does have a larger comb than the breed normally has, but it's not unheard of. She's an Old English Game bantam. Your Silver pullet is most likely a Silver Duckwing Old English. Then you've got the Millie Fleur d'Uccle rooster and a Booted Bantam hen.
    [​IMG]

4. keiserfarms

keiserfarms New Egg

Jul 24, 2014
    Thank you so much! I was just thinking my fleur pullet had too much white but now that you mention her being a booted I can see that! Thanks again! Looks like we need to bust that standards book back open and learn about more breeds! (Not a bad thing at all!) Thanks JulieChick

5. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    You're welcome!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with Juliechick, the brown mystery bird is a Black Breasted Red OEG pullet and the other little bird is a Silver Duckwing OEG pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by