4H question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by patman75, Aug 9, 2010.

1. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I was thinking of getting my daughter into 4H. Since we have chickens it seems like the logical choice to start. I was in 4H but showed steers back in the day so I don't know too much about showing chickens.

So I'm going to go out on a limb and guess my hatchery stock chickens are just not going to cut it. To be competitive I'm guesing I need good quality chickens, chicks or eggs from a breeder??? [​IMG]

Would I need to keep them seperate from the rest of my flock?

Any other things i'm missing? I'm know I'm missing a bunch.

Thanks

2. cknhobbiest

cknhobbiest Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Branch,MI
    for showmanship it don't matter what they use. for Breed that would depend on where you are located and what kind of birds show up at the fair. My Hatchiery Blue Andalusians took best of class. But next year will be a bit of a different story.

3. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    If your county is lucky enough to have a poultry project leader, that would be a good place to start. Contact your University Extension Office if you can locate it. They should know.

4. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I was thinking of that. The county fair is coming to my town next week. I will swing by the poultry barn and ask some questions. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by