4lb or more finished carcass bird?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Newchickenguy, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Newchickenguy

Newchickenguy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2012
    Can somone tell me what breed of non Cx chicken would fill the requirments of being dressed out at 4lbs and go from chick to processed bird in 16wks. If have experience processing these types of non cx birds could you tell me how long you have done this for. I want to make sure it reproducable.

2. A cornish.

Thats all I can think of thats 4 lbs in 16 weeks.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Reproducable? Not much choice available. The birds that make it to that size in that time frame are all hybrids. The heritage breeds that get that big are slow growers.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    A good-quality Delaware cockerel can make 4# in 20-22 weeks, they are about the fastest-growing breed apart from hybreds. The hens are also excellent egg layers of large brown eggs.

1 person likes this.
  5. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I raised Freedom Rangers this past summer. I started butchering at 9 weeks, taking the 1/4 of the birds (chosing the largest), doing the next 1/4 at 10 weeks (again picking the largest) 1/4 at 11 weeks and the rest at 12 weeks. The pullets averaged around 4 lb processed and the cockrels around 4 1/2 pounds.

6. syount

syount Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2012
    I just raised 25 Freedom Rangers. I processed at 8.5 weeks and averaged just under 4 lbs. I fed 21% protein flock raiser.

7. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
  8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon

Freedom Rangers are a hybrid. OP specifically asked for a reproducible bird. That means a purebred, or a cross he can do at home. Hybrids won't work.

9. cutechick2010

cutechick2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

I actually didn't realize the Freedom Rangers were a hybrid, myself.

10. WalkingWolf1

WalkingWolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Vermilion
    I won't get into the "Hybrids won't work -- mantra" at this time. It has been well covered previously. If you haven't raised these birds then you're only repeating someone else's opinion.

Freedom Rangers will reproduce and will produce fairly consistent carcass quality compared to the original birds (many threads here on BYC with some that go multiple generations). These pics are from FR roo X FR hens to produce F1 offspring. These babies were huge -- especially compared to other chicks we had hatched. We now have a CX roo on FR hens (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/698833/freedom-rangers). FR will be ready for processing in 10-12 weeks and will dress 4lbs or better -- the flavor is more "chickeny" than the CX..

Square, squatty babies. You could feel the meatiness on them at 1 day old. Looking forward to watching these grow out. Currently have 1 dozen eggs in the incubator for a larger comparator group. Also look forward to comparing growth of these birds to the CX x FR in the near future.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CX roo with FR hens.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by