4males and two females can it ever work? Help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Geckogrl133, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Geckogrl133

Geckogrl133 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2013
    southern Mn
    I ordered ducklings back in May (unsexed). I have 2 male indian runners, a male khaki campbell, a male welsh harlequin and two black swedish females. I anticipated that I may get a higher boy to girl ratio and that I would have to get rid of the boys but what I didn't anticipate was how hard it would be to make a decision on what to do because we adore them all. They are 14 weeks old and the khaki campbell is starting to chase one off constantly (the welsh harlequin). The two indian runners (the other males ) are fine but the khaki only tolerates the welsh for a little bit and runs after him and he just runs away. They haven't fought yet that I have seen. I'm currently trying to separate the khaki as much as possible but it's not really helping. Is the end result that I need more females or do I have to get rid of 3 males or will the pecking order work and I just have to buy time? Thoughts and suggestions are welcome. Here's a pict of them playing in the sprinkler and at home
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    That ratio will never work.The truth is that the males will end up hurting or even killing the females. You need to get more females or get rid of some of the males. Two or more females per male.

3. Pinkaboo

Pinkaboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK
    Could you keep the males together separately?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  4. Geckogrl133

Aug 10, 2013
    southern Mn
    I can keep the boys separate. Right now I have been only giving them "pool time" supervised but when the khaki is separated the rest of the flock won't leave the area that he is penned up in. Could I keep two males and two females or will that not work either? This sucks

5. Pinkaboo

Pinkaboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK
    Personal keep them all and see how it works out
    You will know if its too much
    Then reduce to 2-2
    And see how that goes
    If that fails you,ll need two more ladies!

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Won't work and could frankly risk the safety of your females. As said, either add more females and/or cut the flock apart, you could keep one male with the female 2-3 ducks per is the minimum but be cautious i'd prefer to see more females...

It's hard, i know.

1 person likes this.
  7. Sfraker

Sfraker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2014
    Western NC
    My flock is one male and four females. I keep an eye on them because he is insatiable. After seeing how "busy" he is I dont know that I would ever want less than three girls per boy.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  8. Geckogrl133

Aug 10, 2013
    southern Mn
    So I picked up 3 Rouen females yesterday that are around the same age as my flock. Lots of biting and neck wrestling right now :( I think I may have a home for one male, but as I currently sit I have 4 males and 5 females... If I can rehome one then I'm 3/5 hopefully that can work?

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It is up to the ducks, really. It might work, I feel that you are going to be very good about protecting your girl ducks and you will know.

10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Personally? i'd yank some males and either take the bachelor flock route, or sell them. 4 males in that small of a flock is too many. Also always keep new birds away from old for a time, a quarantine period, i do at least 3wks.. then go from there.

HOw well heavy drake flocks work greatly depends on the birds, some can manage it others can not. You're making the proper first steps though! good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by