4month old chicken dragged out of roost

Jenifadei

Hatching
Jul 31, 2021
It appears Frannie was pulled out of her coop at 0345 yesterday morning in NWFL. We are new to having chickens and are working out the kinks in security and realizing what predators we have. Possible rat?, opossum or raccoon?.
I heard something, ran out, heard the predator scurry off and saw Frannie laying on the ground not moving, about 3 tablespoons of blood puddles next to her head. Grabbed a towel, took her inside, applied pressure to injuries, stopped the bleeding. Flushed area with water to clean. Looks like a small puncture above her eye and one like where a human chin would be. Most of her tail feathers were ripped out. And a little chunk of comb. Her eye looks swollen. She is mostly listless.
I am keeping her inside next to my bed, dark and warm. I am syringe feeding her, water with protein powder, electrolyte. When I can rouse her I dip her beak in liquid and she gets some hydration and nutrients that way as well.
She is standing, but head hanging down and then sitting as well too. I got a good squawk and wing flap when I flushed with peroxide earlier today. Then applied non- pain relief Neosporin.
I would like to know your thoughts on how long the shock usually lasts, how I can best facilitate when she should go out side. When to be more concerned about her not eating or drinking. We have 2 other girls the same age and didn't know if they will peck at her when she goes back out. Not even sure what I don't know. We have learned and already upped our security measures and put out a live trap as well.

Attachments

• 0731211603.jpg
    0731211603.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 0731211606.jpg
    0731211606.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 3
I would get some Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell since they have vitamins, minerals including iron for the blood loss, electrolytes, and amino acids. Dosage is 2 ml orally daily. Encourage drinking water. Feed a little wet feed and scrambled bits of egg. It sounds like a raccoon might have been possible, but many predators exist who kill chickens. We have coyotes, fox, opposums, and just last week lost 3 chickens to a bobcat, which we saw coming back for the last body at 2 pm. Sorry for your loss.

How did the predator get in? Digging? It sounds like rodent to me, what you're doing is exactly what she needs. :] just let her calm down.
Thank you for responding. No, it wasn't digging, it was from the laybox hatch. Heavily secured NOW! Just wonder how long will my Fran take to not be in this stupor. Almost 48hrs now. I don't know if that is long or short time.

Back
Top Bottom