4mos pullet sick with frequent honk/crow/bark sound

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by raising the roost, Jun 30, 2011.

1. raising the roost

raising the roost Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    SoCal
    last week first thing in the morning my 4 mos australorp pullet started making an odd crow/honk/bark sound. Took her to the feed store thinking she was a he; but confirmed she's a pullet. By evening, she began twisting her head oddly with the noise. It continued through the night and finally at 4:30a.m. I took her from the coop, where she had been on the ground rather than roosted. She smelled, and I noticed white residue around her vent; so cleaned her up and laid down with her for an hour. Dosed her with ivermectin in case of gapeworm. Visited the vet, not sure what's wrong, he injected her with antibiotic and we have now completed a week of Baytril50mg daily by mouth. We have been giving her water via the medicine syringe, she wasn't drinking until yesterday, and she took some crumble today. We clean her vent area daily of white residue. The noise is less frequent, and she seems to be feeling a little better. Vet okayed her spending some time in the hen yard, but she honks almost constantly when outside; so she is mostly isolated inside. Any ideas what we may be dealing with? Continued treatment? Hopes the honk/crow/bark will subside? This is our first sick chicken, and I'm worried about the flock.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

I am sorry you are having trouble with your Australorp. I know how you feel as my Australorp girls just turned 4 months old and I would have all the anxiety in the world if one of mine turned up sick.

What did the vet say about her? Is she not contagious enough that the vet says it is ok to let her out with the others? I would keep in contact with him on this one. Call him on the phone if you have to.

Does she have any outdoor time? The air will do her good. She obviously has some sort of resperatory illness and it souds like you are doing all you can. Maybe someone else here will respond with more information for you.

I hope she gets well soon. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  3. raising the roost

raising the roost Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    SoCal
    The vet said she has a respiratory illness, not sure if bacterial or viral. As of a couple days ago he said she could have visits with the other girls, but to watch her. So every day we take her out a couple times for a bit. Today is the first time she hasn't gone into honking fits during her time outside. None of my chicken friends have dealt with sick chicks ... only dead chicks, so by comparison we are doing okay so far. Thanks for the info! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by