1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4mth old hen laying eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Going Quackers, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Um, wth? lol i thought she had to be at least 5mths.. well anyhow, one of our 4mth old muscovy hens laid two eggs today... so what now? there obviously not on a laying feed yet as they weren't of age so i have understood.. i would assume we need to add something to the diet if there going to start this type of stuff ... or no? Input? thxs.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    No matter what anyone tells you, you don't need any type of laying feed to get eggs. However, it does help keep them laying regular.

3. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:oh ok... interesting, thanks.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:oh ok... interesting, thanks.

I'd say you have 2 hens laying, I have had Muscovies for 7 years and have never seen one lay 2 eggs in one day. [​IMG] I would put out oyster shell for them because they need extra calcium to lay hard egg shells.

5. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I keep my chickens and ducks on grower feed and give them oyster shell free choice, never had a problem. Congrats on your first eggs!

6. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Oh, ok.. i wasn't even home my oldest called me saying she had laid an egg! [​IMG] I'll get some oyster shell then [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by