4week old chick has a swollen bottom!!!

barlowchiro

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 29, 2014
North of Pittsburgh
Does anyone know what's wrong with my little golden laced wyndotte?
[/IMG][/IMG]

Maybe it is a prolapsed rectum. I tried to gently push it back in and it went in sort of, but the rectum won't close right around it.
It's so hard to tell from your pic (and my bad eyes)...is that wet from your intervention or is it that's literally the way you found it?
If it smells and that liquid is coming from the cloaca I would not think prolapse first, but what do I know (?) I am new and have never seen that before!
I wouldn't push anything back without first cleaning it as you don't want any secondary infection(s) to set in from external exposure...I would think...
Hopefully someone will get on here who has experience with this to help you and your chick!

To me it looks like there is a scab and that the vent is scabbed shut. First step is to clean the area and remove the scab if it's on the vent. Then I would gently squeeze the area to see if any poop or pus will come out.

-Kathy

Ok. I soaked its bum in warm water. And gently cleaned around the area. It had a piece of pine shaving stuck to the area. I removed it and it bled a little. I gently tried to push it back in and out some preparation H on it to try and tighten the sphincter back up. I didn't smell anything when I was working on it.

Back
Top Bottom