4week olds with a new chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mradam, Apr 27, 2008.

1. mradam

mradam Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2008
    Eastern Missouri
    Ok, here's the issue I face today. I have 4 awesome 4week old RIR's. They just got upgraded from their cardboard brooder box into their mansion brooder, which will later be their coop.

My question: Some family just got 6 one week old chicks. They need to get rid of 1 of their straight run BO from this batch. Would this little guy/girl survive with my big ones, or would they pick her to death?

I really can't build a separate brooder box for her(space limitations), and would 1 chick really do well by herself anyway?

I don't want to say no if I can make it work(I secretly wanted a BO to begin with), but I have to consider quality of life for the chick too.

Thanks!

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    IMO I don't think it would do to good. Do you have a bird cage or something like that to put it in? What about the cardboard brooder box you took the 4 week olds out of?

I am new at this so I hope someone else answers this that knows better than me.

3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    bump

4. mradam

mradam Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2008
    Eastern Missouri
    The cardboard box is already out on the curb(and it's wet now too). My chicks new brooder home is in a playhouse:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The box is gone, replaced with a wood floor, and framed out with chicken wire to separate the interior in half(kinda hard to explain). So, their isn't much room left in there.

If I keep a new chick in a birdcage in the playhouse, I'm not sure I'll be able to keep the temp up high enough for the new one, and still keep it cool enough for the 4 week olds... actually they are 5 week old today.

5. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I have 10 chicks, about five weeks old, already outside in their own coop/run. The other day a young chick that my broody hen hatched got into their pen. Thank goodness I was out there! The big chicks were chasing the little chick around, and I think that they would have hurt/killed the baby if they had caught it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by