4wk Barred Rock Pullet - Labored Breathing, Lethargic - Pics Post #6

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Reyvaughn, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Alright. What is going on with my birds?!

- 4wk old Barred Rock Pullet

- Pine shavings
    - Indoors - enclosed porch
    - Plywood Brooder 6x4' w/ 8 5 1/2wk old BA Cockerels (was 14 BAs, Pullets went outside), 4 banties, 4 other BRs and 5 PRs.
    - She was just moved out with the BAs and Banties 4 days ago. She was in with the other BRs, PRs, 10 SSs, 4 Silkies and 2 TTs. No one else is showing symptoms.

Symptoms:
    - Labored breathing
    - Lethargic
    - Not pale
    - Still eating and drinking (crop is extended - not impacted)
    - No discharges of any kind
    - Never been outside or had anything in the brooder from the outside

I removed her from the porch brooder because the BA Cockerels are being pretty aggressive with each other. I didn't want her trampled on or picked on.
    She's on 20% chick started (non-medicated) and water. Water is cleaned and refilled daily.

It is hot here right now. It was hot yesterday, too. When I cleaned out the brooder yesterday I noticed this girl - the only BR pullet I have - wasn't her normal self. I took the heat lamp out of the brooder all together since it was in the 80's yesterday and that porch is hot (add another 5-10 degrees to the outside temp). I saw a few other the BAs were panting, too. They did run out of water yesterday - twice. The first time everyone swarmed to the water. The second time they didn't.

Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  2. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Any ideas at all? I thought maybe heat exhaustion, but I don't know. I don't really know what it looks like.

3. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    *Update*
    I noticed she was limping on her one foot, so I soaked her foot in warm water and cleaned it off so I can see it better. She has open wounds on the 2nd set of knuckles on 2 of her toes. Just little scrapes. Since they do walk around in their poo - no matter how clean I try to keep the brooder, could it be an infection? She's still eating and drinking, but still very lethargic. She did get up and tried to eat some strawberries with the rest of the bunch tonight, but she failed miserably. She eventually gave up and just went and ate some starter.

4. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    What is the temp at in the brooder? Could she be hot? At 4 weeks it should be between 75-80 degrees.

If her feet are not swollen where the cuts are, then I wouldn't think infection (although there is always a possibilty) Usually an infection from a cut, the area itselt would show the sign before it reached the "lethal" point. To be on the safe side you can put some non-asprin neosporin on the cuts or even some pine tar (its an anti-septic) and maybe wrap it up for the night.

Sometimes chicks just fail to thrive, usually from an internal malformation and there is nothing we can do about it. [​IMG] I hope your chick recovers soon though!

5. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    It's about 90 in the brooder. I have 5 day olds in there as well, that's why it's kind of high yet. Ambient/non-heated temp is 70. The brooder is a nice large 3x4' box - with a 12x18" hospital box inside of it for the Silkie my husband stupidly sucked up the shop vac.

I just fed her some hard boiled egg. She pooed 2x. The first time was white urates and some green, gritty solid. The second was a dark brown, runny poo. They were both less than a few minutes apart. I did massage her crop, just in case it was an impaction, but I don't smell anything sour and the crop is not that large.

She's currently chirping a mildly contented chirp right now - until someone moves ad disrupts her.

6. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I got her out to take pics.
    She pooped again and it was totally normal green and white. So, whatever this is, it's not cocci - and it shouldn't have been anyways, really.

Yeah, she may be one of the "fail to thrive" chicks, but seeing as she is the only BR out of the 5 I bought, I am not happy about that possibility. My husband will kill me if I tell him I need to buy more chicks because this one is dying!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And one with flash, since the lighting is funky in the living room.
    [​IMG]

7. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Any other opinions? Please?

8. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    No?

9. cocosandy

cocosandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    I would switch her to medicated chick feed and keep her on it till 16 weeks.
    Just my opinion. I also think she may be too hot. Can you put her in a rabbit cage and put her somewhere where you can
    keep her slightly cooler? Is she drinking?

10. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I have no place else to put her right now. I checked the temp and it's 64 in the cool corner of the brooder - she's staying under the light, though.
    She is drinking and eating. She's limping worse on her foot, but it's almost like it's both feet. She was up walking around more than last night, but she's occasionally dropping her wings now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by