4Wk chick hurt by bigger chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chknmama8, Sep 13, 2011.

1. chknmama8

chknmama8 New Egg

Sep 13, 2011
    I had only one chick hatch four weeks ago (we had a power outage and I think all the eggs were ruined). Our little one finally wanted to be a "big chick" and flew up on a high part of the coop away from the other hens. I left it there overnight and in the morning when I went to let them all out he was down on the floor wobbling about unable to keep his balance or his head up that was yesterrday and he seems to be getting worse. i'm sure one of the other hens have pecked it, but there are no visible injury marks. I've isolated it back into the brooding pen, and it only lays on its side and is slightly gasping about every third breath. It's stopped eating and is drinking very little. I'm so sad has it was my little "shadow" since it was the only one and no broody hen to take it. Any one have any suggestions or will I lose little "turbo"?[​IMG]

2. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    You will have to wait it out. It may have injured itself getting down from roosting or a peck to the head on such a young bird can be devastating. I use an 8 weeks or same size rule for integrating newbies, with a two week next door neighbors able to see and hear each other too.

Definitely sounds like a head injury of some sort though. These can be temporary but if there is paralysis then it does not sound good.

Best wishes.

3. chknmama8

chknmama8 New Egg

Sep 13, 2011
    Thanks... yeah, we'd been keeping him separated, but he squeezed out of the brooding area into the roost so I'm sure he was just lonely. I thought that maybe at night he'd be okay. One lesson I've already learned is that you really have to have more than one chick. Its too hard on them as they really need a cuddle buddy:)

We're making him comfortable and trying to keep him hydrated. He's not eating at all now and sitting here in a box beside me in my office. Keeping our fingers crossed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by