1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

4Wk chick hurt by bigger chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chknmama8, Sep 13, 2011.

1. chknmama8

chknmama8 New Egg

Sep 13, 2011
    I had only one chick hatch four weeks ago (we had a power outage and I think all the eggs were ruined). Our little one finally wanted to be a "big chick" and flew up on a high part of the coop away from the other hens. I left it there overnight and in the morning when I went to let them all out he was down on the floor wobbling about unable to keep his balance or his head up that was yesterrday and he seems to be getting worse. i'm sure one of the other hens have pecked it, but there are no visible injury marks. I've isolated it back into the brooding pen, and it only lays on its side and is slightly gasping about every third breath. It's stopped eating and is drinking very little. I'm so sad has it was my little "shadow" since it was the only one and no broody hen to take it. Any one have any suggestions or will I lose little "turbo"?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

How is the chick doing now?

It is best to integrate him when he is closer in size to the older ones. If you don't really have the facilities to do this, just know that an 8 week old chick is a lot different in behavior than a 6 week old chick (and a 4 week old chick).

They really act like babies and "invite" trouble when they are that age.

I'd keep him separated for as long as you can until the 3 or 4 month old range (4 months is best). You can choose your least aggressive hen to move in with him for a couple of weeks prior to the integration so that he will have a friend and won't be the only new one.

All this depends on your facilities and flock size. You might be able to get away with integration at 8 weeks if you only have two other hens and they are not aggressive (I have done this but I integrated a large number of chicks in with older hens and there wasn't just one "target")

But from the sounds of it your hens might be aggressive and thus I stand by my recommendation of 4 months.

For the little one's injuries, I hope he makes it ok!!! Keep him comfortable and see how he does is all I can say!

Edited to add: I just reread your title and you said "by bigger chicks." How old are the older hens?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  3. Nimby Chickens

Nimby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Central FL
    What are you feeding it?

What does it's poo look like?

Have you checked for lice or mites?

If it wasn't injured, my gut says probably coccidiosis, due to age and your description. Putting him with the others might have been coincidental. He does not sound good, the poor thing.

For now, give the little guy some yogurt and scrambled eggs if you can, if not, warm water and chick feed mixed together until you can get some medication. Sulmet or Corid are available at your local feed store (probably) and hopefully will cure your chick, but act fast.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2011
  4. chknmama8

chknmama8 New Egg

Sep 13, 2011
    Thank you for the reply. The 15 hens are a 16 mo old, but then I also have two babies that are six weeks old. I had really been keeping them all separated, he had squeezed out of the brooding pen to get up above the "big roost" so I let him stay the night. Unfortunately I should have just put him back down in the brooder and blocked where he was squeezing out. I guess he's just lonely. We'll see how he does, but he's not looking too good.

5. chknmama8

chknmama8 New Egg

Sep 13, 2011
    Until yesterday i had been feeding him chick starter (unmedicated) the last couple weeks, before that he was on medicated starter. I can't tell that his poo is happening at all he was on litter until tonight when I brought him into the house in a box and nothing tonight. No sign of mites/lice. I got him to dring a little water and tried to feed him some softened starter "mush", but he doesn't want to eat at all and now doesn't want to drink. I'll try the yogurt/eggs. Keeping our fingers crossed and keeping him comfortable. Thanks for all the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by