4wk old chick can't walk, flops over and uses wing to balance

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by junglegal, Jan 16, 2011.

1. junglegal

junglegal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2010
    St. Pete, FL
    My black sex link is a runt. She was in the brooder with 2 others the same age and they are double her size. Yesterday something happened and she can't walk right. She takes a couple steps then falls over gradually. She uses her wing to catch herself. I removed her from the community brooder. She seems to have a healthy appetite and is drinking. I've read about infant vitamins. How many drops should I give her daily? I'd like to try that route before putting her down.
    Thanks!

2. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
  3. junglegal

Nov 27, 2010
    St. Pete, FL
    Yes our problems do seem similar. I'm thinking one of her brooder mates injured her. She is walking some but I'm noticing her feet curling under her too. Sad to watch.

4. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    That might be my issue too, someone jumped or hurt her in some way. She isn't acting off in any other way.
    Hope someone on here can help us soon!

5. junglegal

Nov 27, 2010
    St. Pete, FL
    Too late....I had her put down at the vet this morning rather than to have her suffer. RIP little Goose

6. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:Did the vet say what was wrong with the chick? Just curious if they knew what was going on with her? [​IMG] Sorry about your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by