4wk old chicks getting the right nutrition?

hueghy

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 6, 2010
My chicks are 4 weeks old now and I have had them in the coop with a heat lamp since I got them and they have done fine even with night lows down to the high 20s. It seems like summer is finally starting to come around with highs in the 70s and even a couple days next week that are supposed to be in the 80s. I have started to let the girls into the run during the day and I've noticed they spend most of their time eating grass. They are still eating their starter food but not as much obviously since there is a new source of food all the sudden. Im just wondering if they are getting the right stuff to keep growing well.

Should I limit their outside time so they don't fill up on grass and eat more of their normal food?

Good heavens no. Since when it processed pellets/crumbles/mash "normal" food for birds?
wink.png
Let them forage, they'll be fine. What you probably are not seeing is all the bugs and dirt and pebbles they're also eating off that ground. Every meal does not have to be perfectly balanced, overall it all balances out just fine.

ok and when should i get them on the grower feed and off the starter?

Quote:
I keep mine on starter till they start laying eggs then I put them on layer. I actually put them on a 50/50 mix layer and multi flock the multi flock has a higher protein than the layer.

Back
Top Bottom