4wk old SS eating newspaper

birdlady79

Songster
5 Years
Jan 29, 2014
West Tennessee
Hi. I am using newspaper in brooder bc I ran out if pine chips and I'm working on intergrating with the bigger girls...... They WONT eat their FF but they eat newspaper .. Weirdos.. Lol. Anyone had any that ate paper?

I'm soooo ready for these two to go outside... They are flying out of brooder, making a mess in garage ( thank god I moved them out there) , and eating paper!! I call them trouble n trouble..... Lol. These two are the most entertaining ones so far!!

I would make them a little pen outside that has protection from the weather. At 4 weeks, I bet they are a handful and would be easier kept outside. Give them a little area to run around.

Agree, a pen outdoors for them would be best, they are likely bored. They are pretty young to be integrated with mature birds, though. I'd let them stay in their own pen alongside the older birds until they are closer in size and better able to protect themselves in the inevitable pecking order scuffles. I put my chicks out in their grow-out pen at 5 weeks old but they don't mingle with the older birds until they are 10-12 weeks old. By that time everybody has settled down and gotten used to seeing each other and pecking order scuffles are very minor.

Ok
Agree, a pen outdoors for them would be best, they are likely bored.  They are pretty young to be integrated with mature birds, though.  I'd let them stay in their own pen alongside the older birds until they are closer in size and better able to protect themselves in the inevitable pecking order scuffles.  I put my chicks out in their grow-out pen at 5 weeks old but they don't mingle with the older birds until they are 10-12 weeks old.  By that time everybody has settled down and gotten used to seeing each other and pecking order scuffles are very minor.

Ok that sounds like a plan... I have wood upstairs and wire left... Yes I'm sure they are bored... I let them out for several hours each day but the weather is so nasty here I can't for 2 days... Poor babies are looking at me like "when are you going to let me out". Lol.

Back
Top Bottom