4wk olds head to the coop with heat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicks8405, Mar 21, 2012.

1. chicks8405

chicks8405 New Egg

Mar 21, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Hello, I am new here (and to raising chickens) and would like to ask some advice. I have 31 chicks in a brooder in the basment. 24 of them are just about 4 weeks old and space is getting tight! What I am wondering is if it will be safe for them to head out to the coop if I put up one or even two heat lamps, the overnight temp. is still dipping close to 0c (30's f.). I think they would be much happier with more space (and my sanity better not worrying about them flying all over and hurting themselves) but don't want to risk their good health. Oh, they are a mix of Buff Orpington and New Hampshire if that makes a difference at all.Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They should be close to fully feathered, and fine. You can always make a midnight trip to the coop to be sure. I'd give them plenty of hay to snuggle into.

3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    We usually put our chicks out into the coop at around that age, although it's true it doesn't get very cold at night here. A light in the coop should be good, or we used a box for them to sleep in instead of a light, as our coop gets very draughty. Good luck!

4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I usually provide a box for them to sleep in (lg mailing box or cat litter container).
    They should be fine.

5. chicks8405

chicks8405 New Egg

Mar 21, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Thank you all so much. It is so nice to get advice from those with some more expereince. I think the chicks will be happier with more space, although the kids are going to miss having them in the basement!
    Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by