4wk olds staying in coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by someplumbcoop, Oct 23, 2010.

1. someplumbcoop

someplumbcoop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2010
    North Carolina
    My 4-5 wk old Astralorps are wanting to stay inside the coop rather than go out into the tractor where their food and water is. When we come visit them, they seem very hungry, eating eagerly from our hand, rarely touching the feeder. This afternoon, we decided to close the coop door to keep them out for a little more, thinking they would eat from the feeder, (the tractor is covered on top and 3[​IMG] sides). They were hiding behind the coop and we had a time trying to extract them without them getting hurt. Are they OK? I don't know how to tell if they are eating enough. We are new at this! (can you tell?!)

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Why not just put their food and water inside where they want to be then?

3. someplumbcoop

Oct 19, 2010
    North Carolina
    I am afraid the water and feed will dump over. How do I tell if they are getting enough to eat? I won't obsess about this if I know they are coming out to at least eat.

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Well, I guess without seeing your setup, it's hard to say what would work best...can you describe what kind of feeders/waterers you are using? Why would they tip them over inside but not outside? There's really no way to tell if the feeders are outside if they are eating what's disappearing, or if wild birds/mice are eating it...

5. someplumbcoop

Oct 19, 2010
    North Carolina
    To describe our set-up....we have a 12x12 tractor arc with a 12x2 closed area in the back for the night-time coop. The feeders now hang from the top of the arc. They are the 1gal plastic type. I guess they would stay put in the closed area, but wouldn't they make a mess inside? Thanks for your help.

6. maggiemooscluckers

maggiemooscluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

I feed and water inside the coop only. I have the feeder hanging from the roof of the coop (7'x10' metal shed). I am using a nipple watering system so no spilling but many here use the other type of watering system. Just make sure it is secure. I would agree that you should probably feed the babies where ever they are comfortable since they are still so young. They need their nourishment and if inside is where they feel secure then inside it is!

7. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    you can feed your baby inside if u have a gallon feeder hang it off your inside coop just hang about little bit off the floor. i have a round 1 gallon water in my coop under my nest boxes and they dont make a mess of the water just me try to get it in there. i have a small rain gutter in my coop and they don't waste the feed. that is only chicken feeder. my treats are outside only. you can see them my byc page

8. someplumbcoop

Oct 19, 2010
    North Carolina
    Thanks for all your input! we will try feeding them inside and see how it goes. Thanks again!

9. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yeah, I'd say just feed them where they seem happiest. Otherwise if they're nervous about being outside, they might just decide to stay inside and go hungry! I hatched Marans chicks a while ago, and I put them out in the big coop at about 8 weeks old. They didn't venture outside into the run for more than a month, and they didn't come out of the run to free range with the others for maybe two months. Big scaredy cats! Anyway I just left their food and water inside and let them get on with it.

Yours will venture outside when they're ready.

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Part of this may be their adjustment period to a new environment. Chickens do not like change. Is there any possibility that a predator is cruising the exterior of the tractor? Hawks will land and walk around a tractor- even trying to grab chickens through the wire. If that were the case it might also explain their apparent fear. When you appear, they feel more secure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by