4'x4' Coop with 5 chickens..... What to use on floor of coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jimmywalt, Jul 30, 2013.

1. jimmywalt

jimmywalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    I have a 4'x4'x4' Coop with 5 chickens. They are about 17 weeks old and have been living in the coop for about the last 8 weeks. Until recently (the last couple weeks) I have used open newspaper on the floor of the coop. It's really easy to clean up once or twice per week.

But in the past couple weeks one (or more) of them have been shredding the newspaper and making an absolute mess. So I'm wondering what I should use on the floor inside the coop to make poop clean-up easy. Also from time to time I have climbed into the coop after removing the newspapers to install an automatic door and wifi cameras. I would also like something that is easy to clean so I can climb in as needed.

Would straw be best or PDZ. I want "inexpensive" and "easy to clean".

Here are a couple pictures of the coop so you can get the idea.

Thank you.

[​IMG]

When the chicks were EXTREMELY young:
    [​IMG]

The finished coop & run:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

During construction - the floor of the coop:
    [​IMG]

During construction - Before the back wall/egg box was installed:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I use play sand in the floor of my coop - a very thin layer- and scrape with a stiff plastic rake then sift with kitty litter scoop every other day. Works well (wear mask).

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  3. DLV58

DLV58 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    Nebraska
    Hi, I also have a small coop. I use PDZ in it and it works out nice. It dries up the poop/any moisture, it doesn't smell, and cleans up so easily.
    I made a pooper scooper out of a 1/2 gal milk jug by drilling holes on 2 sides, just scoop and shake. I put the droppings in a coffee can which I
    take to the garden, where I have a hole dug, dump in the poop, cover with a scoop of dirt, all done.

4. jimmywalt

jimmywalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    How thick do you put down the PDZ? I can get a 20# bag for $9.99 or 40# for $14.99. I'm wondering how long it will last..... I want to do this as inexpensive as possible.

5. DLV58

DLV58 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    Nebraska
    I'm new to raising chickens, my 1st flock of 7 girls have been out in the coop/run for 6 wks.
    I used 1 1/2 bags to put down a couple of inches, I think it will last for months

6. Goats4Us

Goats4Us New Egg

Aug 4, 2013
    What is PDZ?

7. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    It's a horse stall dryer takes all the ammonia smell out don't know how it works but it is great.

1 person likes this.
  8. Goats4Us

Goats4Us New Egg

Aug 4, 2013
    Thanks!

9. farmgirlroots

farmgirlroots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I'd suggest a mix of sand and sweet PDZ.

10. kitty928

kitty928 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2007
    Haslett, MI
    I started using PDZ in my coop this year and just love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by