4x8 playhouse type coop, 3 hens okay?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by junglegal, Nov 28, 2010.

1. junglegal

junglegal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2010
    St. Pete, FL
    They will not be able to free range, illegal in the city. More humane for 2 hens or could 3 live in harmony?

2. Chicken0Boy

Chicken0Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Would you have a run? The coop is plenty big for 2 or 3 hens if you build them a nice big run.

3. junglegal

Nov 27, 2010
    St. Pete, FL
    no run, the coop is all enclosed, 32 sq ft of foraging space.

4. Chicken0Boy

Chicken0Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

then no...Chickens need to have a run or free range space to live happy!

5. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are going to be stuck in the coop and run all winter and so far they're fine. I have 5 in a 4x8 playhouse coop and run. The coop is off the ground so they can go under the coop.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If you can raise the "house" part of the coop (the enclosed indoor portion) up so they can use the ground underneath it as part of their run, then you would have whatever's the square footage of the playhouse as your indoor portion (4x4?) and 32 sq ft of run. Which is not bad at all for 3 hens.

If you can't do that, and are stuck with only 32 sq ft total, you can try 3 hens if you want, there are a reasonable number of people who've kept chcikens at that stocking density without major problems, just recognize there is more chance of problems arising than if you had just 2. (OTOH with 2 chickens you're in the awkward position where if you lose one of them you really oughta get another hen to keep the survivor company and then you get into all those social-order working-out-the-food-chain kind of pecking issues, whereas if you start with 3 hens, you can lose 1 and still have "a flock" rather than a lone and lonely hen).

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

7. junglegal

Nov 27, 2010
    St. Pete, FL
    Here is a pic of the coop, before the wire going on...again, can't free range.
    [​IMG]

8. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    nice coop, i think you'll be fine w/ 3. give 'em treats like pumpkins, squash, head lettuces, etc and they should be good.

sorry you aren't able to free range where you're at

9. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Many folk don't let there chickens out of the run. With 10 sq feet per bird of run recomended by those that like happy chickens you've plenty space for 3 chickens. Heck I'd even have 4 in that set up without any dithers about thier health. Mine are in same space and of late (winter and no bugs so travel to neighbors yards attempting to forage) can only come out to stretch for one or two hours a day. 7 chickens and no problems. Laying rate is still top notch too. If we are working in the yard they stay around and can leave em out longer but unattended and they are searching for what there is very little of this time of year.

8x4 tractor with coop attached:

[​IMG]

10. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    I have 4 in my coop/run and it is a lot smaller than yours. I will build a bigger run next spring, but my girls are doing great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by