$5,000 !! Seriously!?!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Sep 15, 2010.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    For one tooth. [​IMG]

I am missing a tooth in a spot that shows when I smile. DH and I have been putting off doing anything about it while he was out of work, but the dentist said I should get started on it as my other teeth are starting to move. So dentist sends me to a surgeon. The dentist tells me that his part will cost about $1500. and the surgeon's part will be another $1500. [​IMG]

DH and I gulp and figure we need to do it. So I go see the surgeon today and no for me the surgeon's part all alone is $5000! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry, not happening. Some days I really wish I lived in Canada. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Seriously, I cried on the way home. We can't do that for one tooth. I miss my smile and being able to chew on that side.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm so sorry. [​IMG]
    With my DH having been on workmans comp. for six months now we are having to prioritize health care for me too. Got my new glasses (the old ones were 10 years old, wrong Rx and fell apart at least once a day). Next we have to have the extra money for me to have a tooth pulled.
    Life is unfair sometimes.

3. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Can you get a second opinion? [​IMG]

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

[​IMG] Wish there was more I can say.

5. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Why in H*** would you have to go to a surgeon? I had a cap over a root canal that finally came off after years and years. Went to the dentist and he made a permanent bridge that fit over the 2 good teeth on either side of the gap. No surgeon needed. Is there still a partial piece of tooth in there or something? I would ask him why a surgeon was necessary and why he couldn't fix it himself with a bridge. If you don't get a really satisfactory answer I would look for another dentist.

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    A couple of thoughts.

I have what: You just might be able to go to Canada and skip the insurance and still have the work done cheaper. OR you might try to find a cheaper surgeon out of town if there are no others where you live. OR perhaps if your GP says that this is resulting in other health issues such as HBP from the stress your insurance might cover more of the cost.

Gristar: You might want to check with Soc. Ser. to see if there is a clinic that can pull that tooth for less. Or have it pulled with sedation if that's what your looking at. Or again check to see if your insurance will pay more if it's affecting your health in other ways.

Or sell your first born............ we still miss ours. [​IMG] and the second and third but we have nice smiles. [​IMG]

I will say this. I once decided to switch Dentist cuz a friend recommended him cuz she worked there. On my FIRST visit he examines my teeth and tries to tell me I need $15,000 worth of work. I was polite and in the back of my mind thinking this guy is off his rocker. My friend was off hers for recommending us to him too. When every Dentist who has previously told me I have nice teeth, this guy is trying to rip me off for sure and I nearly lost my salvation. (told him to .......)

People never think of getting a second op for such things.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Do you want a dental implant or just a crown? That could change surgeon vs not.

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Sounds like a implant ,or at least the price does.

9. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Ask around your community. i know here in our country town there is a mobile dental clinic that visits every week. For major work you get evaluated, then they schedule you for a special followup or try to arrange things - at a reasonable cost - at a nearby clinic.

10. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    ...or you could buy a nice European tour and "fall down" and smash yourself in the teeth while in someplace with generous care. I know even in England some folks go to France for health care - my uncle from Birmingham schedules things with a doctor in Brittany before he plans his vacations!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by