5 1/2 Month old RIR's eating my Chicks Food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by FlockMama, Apr 21, 2009.

1. FlockMama

FlockMama ChickyBawkyChickChick

Mar 11, 2009
    Washington State
    Okay, I have 2 - 5 1/2 month old RIR pullets (I got them whent they were 3 months old). They are not yet laying but from what I have been reading I am sure it will be soon. Anyway I also have an 8 week old Americauna and an 8 week old Golden Campine. I had there brooder in the coop the since I got the chicks (since they were a couple days old) For the last month I had been introducing them to the older girls once in awhile. About a week ago I took them out of the brooder for good (they are much happier in the coop and run) Well I have a feeding dilema. About the same time I moved the younger girls in with the older girls I had introduced the RIR's to scratch as well! So now the RIR's want to eat scratch or the younger chick feed. I have to throw the laying pellets onto the ground to trick them into eating them. So how do I feed the younger chicks the chick feed and the older girls there laying feed? What happens if they eat each others feed?
    Thanks for any advice

2. FlockMama

Mar 11, 2009
    Washington State
    Anyone have an idea about the food sharing?

3. FlockMama

Mar 11, 2009
    Washington State
    Is this maybe in the wrong spot or has this question been answered too many times. Is there anyone who can answer me?

4. soctippy

soctippy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2007
    the only food sharing you have to worry about is the young chicks eating the layer mix. chicks can't handle the higher levels of calcium in the layr mix and can damage their kidneys. at the same time the chicks need the higher protein the chick starter has, because they are still growing rapidly.
    As for the older hens eating the chick starter, there is nothing bad that will happen they just need to be suplimented with extra oyster shell so they get enough calcium to make good shells on their eggs. Another thing about the hens eating the stater is that they probably do not need all the protein in the feed and therefore the more expensive chick starter is wasted on hens that will not use all the protein they take in.
    Hope this helps!

5. FlockMama

Mar 11, 2009
    Washington State
    Thanks for the info that helps. Is there a good kind of food to give them both and once the 8 week olds are old enough then switch them all to laying pellets?[​IMG]

6. soctippy

Dec 22, 2007
    you can feed all of them chick starter, and then separate the hens for a short period of time to offer them oyster shell. they can all go onto layer feed when the young ones start laying eggs.

7. FlockMama

Mar 11, 2009
    Washington State
    Okay thanks. This morning I had stood inbetween the pack so each would eat there own food but the RIR sure like the chick feed.....

8. soctippy

Dec 22, 2007
    well chickens know what they need, nutrition wise, and will eat what their body is missing. maybe they need and want the extra protein in the chick starter because they are not getting enough from their layer mix.

9. FlockMama

Mar 11, 2009
    Washington State
    I was thinking of setting up a cardboard box upside down that only the 8 week olds could get into but I have noticed the older girls are pretty smart and would figure out how to get the food out of it! I have to go get more chick food soon so I will get some more starter feed, I guess non-medicated.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by