5 1/2 week old chick can't stand

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cickadee, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Cickadee

Cickadee New Egg

Mar 30, 2016
    I have one chick out of 13 that is not doing well she is 5 1/2 weeks old and was not able to walk - I was told vitamin deficiency (crazy chick disease)
    I gave her an emergency dose of Poly-Vi-Sol 1 ml last night and today's same along with a crushed b12 vitamin - she eats drink but cannot stand still -... I've have her separate because the other ones will trample her.....[​IMG]

Does anyone on here have any info on a time line to see improvement....all information needed....for my little Chickadee...

2. elizabethjg

elizabethjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas
    Is she too weak to stand? Or is she alert with dysfunctional legs?

3. Cickadee

Cickadee New Egg

Mar 30, 2016
    She is altert and eats - drinks, but can't stand she flops her wings and scoots on her hocks...

4. elizabethjg

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas
    How long have you been giving her vitamins? The vitamins should pick her up if she's still alert. But if she's still sickly after a few more days, it may be something untreatable.[​IMG]

5. Cickadee

Cickadee New Egg

Mar 30, 2016
    2 days... She was the smallest of the Black sexlinks....I'm thinking it might just be untreatable.....She has stayed constantly the same no change....this is the hardest part of raising chickens... I will see how she is by Saturday...
    Thank you

6. elizabethjg

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas
    I completely understand what your going through[​IMG]. So sorry

7. Cickadee

Cickadee New Egg

Mar 30, 2016
    She has gotten worse she's completely paralyzed now but she's alert, honestly I don't think she will recover from the paralysis :( Thank you for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by