5 1/2 week old chicks moving out....

BrahmaGirl2018

Songster
Aug 1, 2018
My little babies are moving outside today! I am a nervous wreck!!! We have made the coop and run as secure as we can but I am terrified we have missed something. These are our first chicks and I am already incredibly attached to them. I don't have a question really, more like a need for reassurance that come sunrise all will be well! How did you keep from camping out during the first 24 hours your littles were out of the house?

5 weeks.jpg

Lol, hubby and I both had nightmares the first night my babies went out to the coop! As long as you’ve done your homework (and it looks like you probably have), they’ll be fine (ours slept like babies). Can you lock the coop door and are the windows secure? Are there any holes that don’t have hardware cloth over them (like ventilation holes, etc.)? Can you put the food in a secure area so as not to attract coons, cats, etc.? Post some pics of the coop and we will all chime in!

We have added locks to the pull out tray under the roosts, to the house sliding door and added another lock to the lid on the nesting box door. Hardware cloth is on every opening,etc and hubby has put fender washers/screws to reinforce the hardware cloth staples. There are shavings as flooring in the house and in the run. I have checked for leaks, etc during our storms and all seem nice and dry inside.

These pics are from earlier before that was added.

Coop 3.jpg Coop.jpg Coop2.jpg

Attachments

• Coop 3.jpg
    Coop 3.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 11
They are sleeping..I am logging steps on my Fitbit walking in and out checking on them :lau

They will be fine. I had a hard time sleeping first night out in the coop. I just tucked them up in house closed door and laughed a good laugh cuz all my first to do everything chics required putting in the house but my last to do chic walked in herself after seeing her sisters in the house. Loved it! Close house door, they will be fine till the morning. I ran out first thing to check mine in am at crack of dawn, count heads, and let them out in run. I’ve watched mine grow beautifully. Yours will too. They will love it. Coincidentally same house by the way.

They will be fine. I had a hard time sleeping first night out in the coop. I just tucked them up in house closed door and laughed a good laugh cuz all my first to do everything chics required putting in the house but my last to do chic walked in herself after seeing her sisters in the house. Loved it! Close house door, they will be fine till the morning. I ran out first thing to check mine in am at crack of dawn, count heads, and let them out in run. I’ve watched mine grow beautifully. Yours will too. They will love it. Coincidentally same house by the way.
I had to put them in the house last night at bedtime...they seem nervous about the ramp. This morning when i went to let them out they just stood there chirping so i helped them down. Tonight i will try luring them up with a special treat...
Everyone slept well (including me). Night #1 was a success! WHEW!!!:thumbsup

Yay!! Try luring them up and down the ramp with some canned corn - or whatever their favorite treat is at the moment... Once one does it, everyone seems to want to do it (whatever “it” is)!

Glad that y’all slept well. :thumbsup

I had to put them in the house last night at bedtime...they seem nervous about the ramp. This morning when i went to let them out they just stood there chirping so i helped them down. Tonight i will try luring them up with a special treat...
Everyone slept well (including me). Night #1 was a success! WHEW!!!:thumbsup

Great job! See babies slept peacefully they will love the new space. Keep luring them up the ramp. I sprinkled crumble on the ramp steps to get them to use the ramp. They learned in just a few days to do it themselves. Once one does it, they all join in. Yeah!

Back
Top Bottom