5 1/2 week old Marans - hen or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Whoops, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Whoops

Whoops Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi

These chicks hatched New Years' Day. The black one is Astrid, some sort of "barnyard mix" and the white one is George, a splash marans.

So, is Astrid a roo and is George a pullet? Or is it too soon to tell? The photos suck. Cell phone, small brooder, wiggly chicks, poor lighting.

[​IMG]

Thanks for any insight.

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Your bird in the front is really washed out, but from comb alone, I would say the black one is a rooster (most definitely) and the front one is a pullet.

My 4 week old BCM roo has more comb than your 5 1/2 week pullet. I'm pretty sure he is a roo as his siblings look like your pullet and he looks like your black bird....fairly tell tale when you have chicks hatched the same date from the same parents.

Lady of McCamley

3. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I would agree with your guess. Black one is a rooster, light one is a pullet. I have a Marans pullet that hatched the same day as yours (NYDH) and her comb looks just like your marans and my 2 Olive Egger boys the same age look just like your black one. One of my little boys is already crowing.

4. purplesquirrel

purplesquirrel Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    yeh definitely pale one pullet, black one roo. x

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    White bird is a pullet, black one is a cockerel.

6. Whoops

Whoops Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thank you, everyone!

I was hoping I was correct in my guess, but I was hoping so much that George (the light chick) was a pullet that I didn't know if I were just seen what I wanted to see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by