1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

5 1/2 weeks - when can I tell boys from girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NoseyChickens, Oct 17, 2009.

1. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I have 6 little peeps that are 5 1/2 weeks old. How soon until I can tell boys from girls? 2 of them have combs that are pinker than the rest so I am guessing boys. But this is my first time with chicks so young so I have no idea.

Peep #1 fizzle cochin
    [​IMG]

#2 Barred Rock (this one came from the feed store should be a girl)
    [​IMG]

#3 Light Brahma (girl also)
    [​IMG]

#4 Frizzle Cochin
    [​IMG]

#5 Standard White Cochin
    [​IMG]

#6 Naked Neck ( I call her Big Bertha, really hoping it's a girl!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    1,4,5 are roos

3. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Honesty cochin throw me off. i picked up 2 pullets and would have sworn they were roo's. Would have put all my money on them. Sorry, no clue~

4. NoseyChickens

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I totally agree with 1 and 5! those are the ones I pegged as roos too! Not as sure about 4. Comb not as pink and it is about half the size of the other one. So Bertha is looking like a pullet then. Awesome!!!

5. NoseyChickens

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I have been letting them outside during the day, it's in the mid 80's. At night I bring them back in. It's between 50-60 here at night. When will they be old enough to stay out in thier mini coop and run 24/7? I am thinking 2 more weeks inside tops. Would that be right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by