5/11 of my chicks are Roosters! and Houston do I have a problem!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BriteChicken, Jun 21, 2010.

1. BriteChicken

BriteChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Hey guys and gals I appreciate any advice you can give me... as the title says I have too many roosters and I was planning on you know eating the roosters when they got to a nice weight but when I got home from work today one the rooster's was attacking another one and crowing at 6-7 weeks old! I think I'm going to have to sell my roosters bc I can't have them fighting or crowing for another 2-3 months I live in the city anyone need a rooster?

I feel really bad but I'm a newbie so I didn't know when to separate them thanks for any advice or interest!

2. Coreyboy18

Coreyboy18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I too live in the city and think one of the Dominique pullets I bought is a rooster as well. I hope not, but I'm thinking that just by the size of his comb, and size and color of him compared to the others. He's only a little over two weeks. I know this is way too early to tell so I'm going to stay somewhat optimistic for the next two weeks or so. I definitely cant keep a rooster, and would rather have three hens for my flock rather than two. Another thing, I'm debating on is getting another chick just in case it turns out to be a roo, so I'll still have three birds. Good luck!

3. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    well I think if I wanted to eat a roo in 2-3 months in the city I might separate them into dog crates at night in a garage or basement, maybe give them some 1 on one time with the hens a few at a time (?). Or otherwise find some way to reduce noise from crowing, esp. from ~9am-5pm and give them a decent quality of life. Or advertise at feed store, craigslist or other for free roosters.

Coreyboy you might post a pic on BYC for help on the gender, there are lots of experts here. not me, thought, I thought my BA hen big betty was a rooster until she was 5 months! bigger body, comb, tail and legs than her 3 sisters. So don't give up!

4. Coreyboy18

Coreyboy18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Quote:Yeah, I'm having trouble with my main computer right now and so posting (decent) pictures isn't possible...I've been wanting to show them off! But, I am going to remain optimistic for now and just keep my fingers crossed! [​IMG]

5. bigchicken2

bigchicken2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Never mind Houston. We don't have a problem. You'll be fine. Your roosters will fight at first. You'll have to wait until they have a pecking order and they won't fight as much. I have 4 roos and 9 hens and I'm fine. Straight run is about half-n-half anyway. So it's OK.

6. BriteChicken

BriteChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Thanks for the replies so far but I sorta freaked out when I found the lesser roosters head bald & bloody from the alpha rooster pecking on him all day... so I sepperated him to heal and put him with two of the smaller girls that I think weren't getting their fair share of food I checked on them this morning and they seem to be doing good in the big brooder.

I don't have a garage or basement just a carport and I keep the big brooder under part of my carport... but your saying that if I seperate the boys from the girls that they hopefully won't fight anymore?

I still need to sell the Banty roos though because they deserve a good life in the country and wouldn't make good frying chickens anyway :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by