1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

5.5 Week Old Black Australorp "Hen"

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by faulkan, Sep 18, 2016.

1. faulkan

faulkan Just Hatched

Sep 18, 2016
    Fort Worth, TX
    [​IMG]

My fiancée and I are very new to backyard chickens and this is our first flock of hens. We bought 1 each Gold Laced Wyandotte, Barred Rock, Ameraucana and a Black Australorp. I'm beginning to think that the she is a he. I sincerely hope this is not the case but every photo I've seen online of this breed does not have a comb and wattles that are this pronounced. I live in a normal suburban neighborhood where the homes are less than 20' apart. Although legal in Fort Worth, a rooster would not be welcome here.

Is it still too early to tell or do I have a roo?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. I'd say thats quite a lot of comb development for a girl! I could well be wrong (i hope so, for your sake) so maybe wait until the experts chime in.

Fingers crossed

CT

1 person likes this.
  3. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a 22 week old BA pullet named Nubby (she is missing part of a toe).
    She did not show that kind of comb/wattle development until she was around 13 weeks.
    Yours is a cockerel.
    Could you keep him if you used a no-crow collar?

1 person likes this.
  4. faulkan

faulkan Just Hatched

Sep 18, 2016
    Fort Worth, TX
    Thank you so much for your help.  That's pretty much what I was afraid of.  I've seen pics of many that are considerably older than our 5 week old girls that had little to no comb at all like the other 3 of ours. As far as the collar goes, I may be able to depending on how much it will actually muffle the crow. My backyard is the epitome of postage stamp so there's no room for more chickens nor do I want upset neighbors due to noise.

Now that we've established that she is a he, would it be best to rehome him now or later? I want to do what's best for the remaining 3 girls. I have a friend that will add him to his flock when I'm ready.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  5. faulkan

faulkan Just Hatched

Sep 18, 2016
    Fort Worth, TX
    Here's our whole flock patrolling our tiny back yard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. faulkan

faulkan Just Hatched

Sep 18, 2016
    Fort Worth, TX
    I will miss my baby penguin.

[​IMG]

7. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    It may be better to wait until he is 4 months or so (or once he starts crowing) so that he can stand up for himself in a new flock IMO. Sorry about having to let him go, but at least you have found a new home for him, which is more than most cockerels get!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. faulkan

faulkan Just Hatched

Sep 18, 2016
    Fort Worth, TX
    Thanks again for your input. You guys in these forums have been a huge help during our research phase. I did tons and tons of reading before we even bought the chickens just to make sure it was something we could stick with as well as giving them a proper home.

9. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    You are most welcome [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by