5-6 week old babies...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Doublete, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Doublete

Doublete Songster

Apr 4, 2019
    York County, PA
    894F9E85-8033-4440-9B46-01BF79B32180.jpeg 38D38226-5C19-4FE3-A103-61C8EBC6D48D.jpeg B6207416-7101-485B-8B72-062693B60EE8.jpeg 40068F07-14EA-45D7-83DF-3CBDE301DA9B.jpeg 25BA3ED5-68C6-44AA-9EE0-46E20EE868DC.jpeg I have 16 in a 4x8 sq ft space... is this ok? Getting ready to set up the rest of the coop.
    They have a roost I build and I just also added a bamboo across the back.
    I still have a heat lamp I can switch on at nights.
    My younger babies are in a tub with their light on (blue Plymouth rocks).

The whole coop is 15x18 and eventually the silkies will be separated out to a 4x 10 area, and my colored egg layers will be in this half where the babies are now (but opened up a bit more so it’ll be 4x 12). Then the rest of the flock will be on the other portion which will be 12x 11.

Fluffnut and AngieMaesChix like this.
  2. AngieMaesChix

AngieMaesChix Songster

Apr 8, 2018
    Cloverdale, Ohio
    Nice setup...in process of building two coops in the big coop need get first finished so the chicks BR’s can get outside it’s warmed up and I’m ready to boot em to the coop lol

3. Doublete

Doublete Songster

Apr 4, 2019
    York County, PA
    Thank you.
    Whoever owned my farm before I bought it obviously had birds.
    They put electric in the coop and put multiple gates. It can be split into many different spots.. so if I have trouble birds it’ll be so easy to just swing a gate and have a 4x4 area. And it’s all attached to two chain link runs. Inside a fenced horse pasture.
    I wouldn’t have been able to
    Build it like this lol

AngieMaesChix likes this.
  4. AngieMaesChix

AngieMaesChix Songster

Apr 8, 2018
    Cloverdale, Ohio
    Same with our little farm here.. the coop needs a new roof and we’re building areas within but original owners had chickens lots of them I believe..coop has electric and is set up for electric wire against predators but as of now I’m not planning on using it..it’s been many years since this farm was used properly coop was filled to top with junk...trash everywhere on property broken glass in gardens (like really)!! But it’s coming along and I love it!! There is some tragedy that comes with the coop most think it should be torn down and rebuilt but it’s pretty solid and once roofs completely done and few areas made more secure it’s just fine and I like it regardless of what’s happened in there I feel no bad vibes and I feel comfortable and at ease out there so the coop original to the farm stays...by now I’m sure your wondering what the tragedy was...well..it’s disturbing very sad and was actually my bf extended family...wife husband two sons...husband started cheating on wife wife became suspicious and ended up finding out by stopping at the local water hole to try and to try and find out just what her husband was up too..she seen with her own eyes and proceeded to go home and hang herself in the chicken coop..I guess she really loved chickens as we all here do why she chose there ?? Then some years later one of the sons went to the father and said he believed his wife was cheatyand going to leave..fathers reply well why don’t ya go hang urself in the coop like ur worthless mother..like two weeks later his wife left and that night he went to his mothers coop and hung himself...the other son came out as gay father disowned him and he was pretty much here alone until he passed as peacefully as someone as this man must have been(he wasn’t a very good man at all) in his sleep..house n land went to a nephew who rented it to a couple who has just let it go to hell..they obviously had no trash service piles of garbage and what really sucks is it’s not separated metal with stuff can be burned glass just everything..glass all over broken ..I mean glass in the garden like really?? Anyways, we’re trying our best and it’s gonna take awhile but I love it out here.. and I also believe it should stay someway in the family and brought back to life..it’s came a long way already...and I’ve got six BR chicks that will be taking up residence in now my very much loved coop with more to come..I am decorating quite a bit in there swings,roosts playthings signs funny chicken stuff etc...I’m also seriously considering some type of remberance memorial or something for the two mother and son I’m just not sure what yet..not sure if I could come up with some pics or anything..I did hear she was big into the county fair here so maybe they have some photos..Maybe a plaque or angel statue or something...sorry I rambled I tend to do that...

5. Doublete

Doublete Songster

Apr 4, 2019
    York County, PA
    @AngieMaesChix sorry to hear that... hopefully you can only create good and positive vibes

6. AngieMaesChix

AngieMaesChix Songster

Apr 8, 2018
    Cloverdale, Ohio
    It don’t affect us any just a story that goes with the house I didn’t know them and neither did my bf,.was a long time ago..I feel nothing but good here..on another note I just got back from TSC and came home with seven more chicks lol 3 light Brahmas 3 Cochin bantams and one white silkie..have six Barred Rock babies as well I got late March..the Brahmas are almost as big as the BR already!! This is my first time with the smaller ones I’m pretty excited!! There so small and cute

7. Doublete

Doublete Songster

Apr 4, 2019
    York County, PA
    I’m not allowed at TSC anymore... lol

ChickenFox and AngieMaesChix like this.
  8. AngieMaesChix

AngieMaesChix Songster

Apr 8, 2018
    Cloverdale, Ohio
    Haha my bf threatens me with same thing..and tonight I met a girl well more formally I guess ...she has 24 ducks and four chickens and chicken eggs in the incubator lol I’m going to purchase some ducks from her next month ...bf is scared we gonna become friends and start bird swapping lol...new thermostat came for incubator need change few things then gonna set some eggs not sure what yet but I’m thinking maybe silkies

9. AngieMaesChix

AngieMaesChix Songster

Apr 8, 2018
    Cloverdale, Ohio
    She works there forgot put that in.. I’ve seen her a few times now and today we talked quite a bit

10. Doublete

Doublete Songster

Apr 4, 2019
    York County, PA
    No ducks for me! too messy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: