5-6 week old chicks, housing till the coop is finished Cleaning ques?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by piercesdesigns, Apr 4, 2011.

1. piercesdesigns

piercesdesigns Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    I have 4 Buff Orps in a big refrigerator box in a back bedroom with sand on the bottom until the coop is finished. (We got them last Wednesday).

I am scooping the sand several times a day using a cat litter scoop, and yesterday resorted to a small sieve to clean the sand. What is the best way to mange this?

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    If you have sand, that's probably the best way. They'll be able to go outside in 2-3 more weeks.

3. piercesdesigns

Mar 30, 2011
    Wow, 2-3 more weeks? I was thinking by the weekend.

How old should they be before going out without a heatlamp.

4. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    They have to be fully feathered to outside with out a heat lamp. Plus it can't be too cold their first time. What's your weather?

5. piercesdesigns

Mar 30, 2011
    I am in NC. In the 10 day forecast the lowest low is 44.

Ok, I wonder if I can delay my husband finishing the coop so they do not go out. LOL

6. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    8 weeks is usually the earliest people recommend to put chicks out without a heat lamp. I use sawdust/pine shavings. I find it absorbs the smell really well but it does get everywhere. You just wait a couple of days and scoop out the old and refill with new shavings.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Have you been using a lamp in the house? If so, go ahead and stop. If you could run an outdoor rated extension cord out to the coop for a lamp, you could go ahead and move them out. But if not, then start puttiing them out during the day, and bringing them in only at night - that'll help with clean-up... With only four that should be fairly easy to manage for another two or three weeks...

8. arockkid

arockkid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Buffalo NY
    I was gonna do sand for the 10 chicks we got Sunday, but the woman we bought them from recommended using 'Best Cob', a horse bedding. She raises chicks and uses this and said it doesn't stink, and so far it definitely doesn't. I haven't cleaned it at all...just turned it over. She said just vacuum the top layer off occasionally, but that she doesn't need to change it for weeks. I can attest that hers didn't stink and probably had 30 chicks in it. She also said that it doesn't matter if they eat it, because it is just corn cob. Ours pick at it and seem to all be doing great.
    Glad I didn't do sand, because this has been working great so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by