5-6month old Rooster acting/appearing sick?

Stajemahal

Songster
Jul 26, 2017
Hi guys. I am new to raising backyard chickens so if this post doesn't cover all your questions, I apologize.
So my 5/6 month old rooster, TJ, started showing a dark comb two days ago. By dark I mean.. it's originally bright red had been replaced by a darker odd colored red. I have been checking on him periodically and he has been staying in the coop, near the water nipple constantly tapping the nipple. He did this all day yesterday. After refilling their feed, he watched but didn't eat. Today I go out and he is still under the water nipples. Oddly enough he allowed me to easily pick him up and didn't even struggle. The moment I picked him up he had some slimy clear watery substance(smelt like wet dog food?) drain from his beak. His comb now has bumps on it, and a small black oily looking dot has appeared. When I last checked his vent, which was the day before yesterday, it looked decent but he appears to have some green poop going on.

IMG_0608.JPG
This is TJ after.
IMG_0397.JPG

This is TJ before

Is he sneezing? Could be respiratory.

Always good to have some vetreX on hand when dealing with chickens amongst other odds and ends such as tylan if they are showing moderate signs.

But it does seem like a respiratory issue which will usually slowly kill a flock if not treated quickly. Also idk what breed he is Br or other but my cream legbar i found out suffer from enlarging livers which got mine.

Last edited:
I have not heard him sneeze, no. I love chicken watching, haven't missed an episode yet. They are definitely binge worthy.

How is the vetreX and Tylan administered?
I have three ducks amongst my flock, will these medications harm them?
Even if only administered to the sick Roo?
Lastly, where is the best place to find the previously mentioned?

Tractor supply or southern states usually carry both if not try your local stock yard as far as dosage for tylan it can be found if you search it in the forums but i inject it in to the breast switching sides each time i do so. As far as the vetrex it can be put in their water or straigh down his beak.

I also always treat my chicks or new birds with corrid dosages can be found on here aswell.

TJ has went to the big chicken run in the sky.
I raised him from baby so this makes me feel super crappy.
His crop was swollen and hard so I am assuming it was sour crop.
Thanks for all of your help.

Sorry for your loss. If his crop was hard, he probably had an impacted crop. Sour crop is puffy and balloon-like. Long grasses can be a common cause of impacted crop. Or he may have had another problem further down in his gizzard which obstructed him. I did not see a cause of crop problems for my first 5 years in chicken keeping, but have seen several since then, and they didn't make it. When they die, it helps to perform a necropsy to look inside at the organs and open the gizzard and intestines to look for blockage, hemorrhages or worms. Many common illnesses can slow the crop function which can lead to problems. Even something such as heart trouble could lead to these problems. If you do decide to do a necropsy, you can post pictures here of organs to get opinions. Here is a good site or two to help:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm009
https://www.veritasdvm.com/veritas/courses/avian-necropsy-examination/index.htm

Back
Top Bottom