5 Ameraucana's Hens-1.5 yrs old,2 months after moult,NO EGGS!Plz Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 44Wolves, Dec 18, 2010.

1. 44Wolves

44Wolves Here is Your New Title

Jun 28, 2009
    Hi, I have 5 ameraucana hens- Amanda, Maddie, Debbie, Louie (As in Lois) and Domino. They are all 1.5 years old, and since it is winter, they have a heater and light. They moulted about 2 months ago. Still No Eggs! I have tried everything from oyster shell to egg shell, yogurt to cheese, but still, NO EGGS! I's sure they aren't eggbound, because I can always feel the egg, and the next day, it's gone, no lumps on their bodies or anything. They, like, just DISAPPEAR! Please Help me!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  2. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    I bet someone is eating them!!!!

3. chrisb5798

chrisb5798 New Egg

Feb 25, 2010
    Quote:No.... There would be SOME kind of trace of that, like wet woodchips of shell parts they missed... but NEVER any yolk, they always go for that when I accidentaly drop one of their fresh-laid eggs! (Well, THAT isn't happening anymore!!)

4. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    I have read on here that sometimes there is NO trace of an egg left at times! Maybe a rodent is getting in their or some other animal eating them whole??? Not sure. Just a thought.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

All of my Ameraucanas stopped laying about four months ago. Two of them just now started back and they've been over their molts for awhile now, though. mine are all over two years old and the oldest is almost four--she started back first. Good girl, my Charlotte. When they are laying, they lay very well, but they take longer breaks the older they get.

6. 44Wolves

Jun 28, 2009
    Quote:That's scary..... And no rat could get an egg out AND still come out alive out of THAT coop

7. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    It's strange that you feel the eggs though. Are they being reabsorbed by their bodies or are you feeling something that is not really an egg?

8. henmommy

henmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I live in upstate NY and my Americana's stop laying from Oct to Mar. Not sure if that is the case since you feel the egg.

9. 44Wolves

Jun 28, 2009
    Quote:Well, I feel an occasionaly feel a hard but mushy lump RIGHT where the neck turns to the underbody (or maybe a little above) and I don't know if they are re-absorbed.... I THINL they have all the vitamians they need from food and treats....

And maybe your... well, I dunno...... But, Upstate NY is hot summer/cold winter, Right? Maybe it's something with those regions, [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:Well, I feel an occasionaly feel a hard but mushy lump RIGHT where the neck turns to the underbody (or maybe a little above) and I don't know if they are re-absorbed.... I THINL they have all the vitamians they need from food and treats....

And maybe your... well, I dunno...... But, Upstate NY is hot summer/cold winter, Right? Maybe it's something with those regions, [​IMG]

That's not an egg. That is probably the crop, sounds like to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by