5 and 1/2 weeks how cold is too cold?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 1acrefarm, Nov 12, 2007.

1. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I have some 5-6 week olds. Will they be fine for there first night out a 46 degrees?

2. First-time-raising

First-time-raising Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2007
    Mid - Michigan
    I WOULD JUST MAKE SURE YOU STILL HAVE A HEAT LAMP OR TWO DEPENDING ON THE SIZE AREA THERE IN.

3. 1acrefarm

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Thanks I kind of figured that I will just bring them in before the temp drops.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Eh, 5-6 weeks old, mid 40's... if it is a cozy coop and they are fully feathered, I'd kick them out and leave them out. That's just me though. By 7 weeks they should be out in the 40's no problem.

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I agree with the heat lamp idea. It is better to be prepared or bring them in. At 5-6 weeks, they can handle temps in the 70 degree range and maybe slightly lower. Temps this time of year are too dramatic on their little bodies and I err on the side of caution. If they still have fluff underneath and not fully feathered, you're risking a chill, stress and sickness.

I have a young orp that is 5-6 weeks old out in a temporary coop with older friends and have the heat lamp on all day. It has been down in the 20's at night and up to 40-50 during the day here, but quite chilly for the little one.

Jody

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I agree, I would put a heat lamp on them. Karen

7. 1acrefarm

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    No heat lamp for them they are enjoying the livingroom fireplace.[​IMG]

8. First-time-raising

First-time-raising Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2007
    Mid - Michigan
    FIREPLACE!!!!

Boy are't your chickens spoiled....LOL [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    How many chicks? If you have a good few - more than 10 or so they'll keep each other warm, just make sure they have a place to cuddle thats enclosed, no drafts, I would keep them in a brooder box or something within the coop to contain their warmth.
    A low "ceiling" on the brooder box will also keep the warmth close to the chicks.

10. 1acrefarm

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Just 7 I have several other animals but my barn is too large for the body heat to make a difference.

Oh they are spoiled. They are flighty too they started freaking out awhile ago when i turned ceiling fan on to circulate air better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by