5 baby chicks and they keep pooping in there water bowl...any advice to stop this?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by amyunderwood307, Apr 15, 2012.

1. amyunderwood307

amyunderwood307 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    i know its not a huge deal, but they keeep pooping directly into there water bowl. so i keep having to change the water. is there anyway i can stop this, or prevent it from happening? they dont go to the bathroom in there food, which is a mason jar feeder. is there any type of feeder which may stop this from doing that? also, they get the wood shavings in it to. what can i do?!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  2. StephanieH

StephanieH Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    What kind of waterer do you have? Just a bowl? You can raise it to their back level on a brick or similar. You could also get them a nipple waterer and remove the older waterer when they get used to the new.

3. amyunderwood307

Mar 31, 2012
    the type of waterer i have is a metel disk shaped thing was about 6 holes to drink out of. thank you!

4. Jakl

Jakl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    X2 on raising it up a bit.
    The kind with holes in it is what I was going to suggest, so, can't help you there. BUT.... maybe they are perching on the top of it, and that's how they are getting their water nasty?
    Maybe one like the mason jar type would have less surface area for them to poo in?

5. amyunderwood307

Mar 31, 2012
    yeah they are perching on the top of it. i'll put new water out, then the next time i check on them one of them is sitting on top of the waterer and there is poop in it. ALWAYS. hahha

6. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    You may want to hang it if possible and add an upside down funnel to the top like the Tinman from Oz. That would be about as poop proof as you can get it.

7. kstokes

kstokes Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2012
    i taped a paper cone onto my mason jar feeders. Seems to be working so far!

8. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    I used chicken nipples. I got them off amazon. I used a small half gallon bucket, drilled 3 holes in the bottom, screwed the nipples into the holes and attached the bucket to the side of the brooder box. By the first week of age, they were all drinking from the nipples and I removed their water dish. I exclusively use the chicken nipples on all their waterers, inside the coop and in the chicken run. They know what they are, look for them and use them. I have a gallon waterer in the run and a 2 gallon in the coop. I have no problems with pastey butt or illnesses. They get fresh, clean water every sip.

9. Farmettehopeful

Farmettehopeful Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2012
    Johnstown, PA
    I just keep raising the feed and water as they grow using blocks of wood. This worked for me with my first chicks until they were about 4 weeks old and really into scratching and then there was no stopping the shavings from flying!
    Oh and if you don't already, maybe put a branch on the other side of the brooder to encourage them to hang out on it instead?!?

10. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    IUse wood blocks too, they have to hop onto the block for a drink and then hop off,they don't hang their butts over therim! :' and it don't get chips flung into it, you'd be surprised how quickly they learn to hop up to the next level

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by