5 Baby Societys

Discussion in 'Other Poultry - Birds & Hatching Eggs' started by Society Finches, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Society Finches

Society Finches In the Brooder

Dec 12, 2018
    Hi ! I have 5 baby society finches that are 20 day old, and I just wanted to know if it was safe to put at random 3 and 2 in cages or should I figure out which are female and male so they don’t inbreed?? This is the first time my Societys has babies, so I would like to know as They are going to 2 different people and I wanted to put them in pairs. Also, when can I take them out of their nest? They haven’t came out yet the parents still feed them, they are pretty big though I am not sure if this is Ok or I should separate the kids already.... Thanks for any information posted, I really appreciate.!!

LlamaGirl4 likes this.
  2. JaeG

JaeG Crossing the Road

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Wait until they are at least 6 weeks old before removing them from their parents. They need to be taught still how to eat and drink independently because if they haven't learnt that before being separated from their parents they will starve.

It's very difficult to figure out which are boys or girls unless they are old enough to breed and you catch the boys singing and dancing (although the bird they are doing it to may be a male too). So just separate them into 2 groups and they'll be perfectly happy. They are dear little things, happy to be friends with whoever is available. They are my favourite finch for that reason.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: