5 broodies and their chicks Setup help!?!?!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by whatthecluck, Jul 27, 2010.

1. whatthecluck

whatthecluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    VeRmOnT
    So I had one broody, then two...and you know how it goes...now theres 5 of my 12 chickens setting. When there was two I gave them both fertile eggs...and somehow they moved around like musical broodys in the nesting boxes...and well...my welsummer hen got lucky with a hatch so far of 6 after one week of setting [​IMG] So the dilemma is the setup. I have an area that I used last time with my broody and her chicks...and the only problem with it was that when they were under 1-2 weeks they would fall through the chicken wire and I would have to scoop them up and hand them back to momma. So I bought hardwire cloth...and was going to set up the bottom with that...but when I initially put a broody in there...she didnt take and came out of being broody [​IMG]...and so I decided as they all started setting that nature must know best and this is where they want to do it.
    Enter today...the hen is hungry, babies are hungry they are crazy thirsty and there simply isnt room where she is.... I put a chick feeder behind the box (mom could reach but chicks wouldnt venture there just yet) dropped a bunch of chick food into the box, and a waterer stuffed in with her...everyone was happy for food/water.
    So! She doesnt want me NEAR her or the babies....and I cant move her to the sectioned part and then when another set of chicks pops from under one of my other 5 expect to put them in the pen too right? So....question is this...can I leave them here? Will the chicks fall? She is fending the other hens away well...but as they get bigger how does that work out?
    Now my coop:
    Its a 200 yr old coop....what you cant see is that two walls are floor to ceiling old paned windows...but on the side that is sectioned you have the nesting boxes....the sectioned part....etc. Anyhow I tried to get a lot of pics with my terrible camera phone to get an idea what is best and where to put them or leave them be? Hmmmmm
    heres pics (and please pardon...the coop needs a good cleanout) [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I have a 4x7 brooder room. I have let two hens hatch out chicks in that area - even when their hatches are staggered. The moms are so into their own babies, they do not bother eachother.

3. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I too would be tempted to leave them but what are you going to do for food and water? The nest boxes are obviously not big enough to contain mom babies and food and water. I say move her to the sectioned area if you are able. You may end up having to make more then one enclosure for your broodys, in my experience they will not tolerate other chickens very close to their babies and I would also be worried about them stealing each others chicks and chicks possibly getting hurt.

4. whatthecluck

Mar 30, 2009
    VeRmOnT
    so you think I should try to add hardware cloth to the other area and move her and the chicks to that sectioned off space? Then as others hatch they go into the same area?
    ~best

5. whatthecluck

Mar 30, 2009
    VeRmOnT
    Quote:yes that is my concern...that they will harm one anothers babies and be aggitated with each other in the box. I am tempted to leave the food and water and let them learn to walk behind for those? But would the babies fall out? Aye yaye....

6. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Can you make "rows" and justy buy some cheap neeting and just do that. Maybe a 4'x6' area. Just big enough for mom and the chciks to get some exercise.

7. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Oh and nice chickens by the way. I have always wanted a broody but out of 50 chickens not a one is. Blame things

8. whatthecluck

Mar 30, 2009
    VeRmOnT
    So I went up with hardware cloth, wire, wire snips, gloves etc....and when I arrive (wish I brought my camera darnit!)....the babies were all in the back of the nesting box...where you can see there is a run area to access the nesting boxes...anyhow...one of my other broody hens decided to get off of her eggs and help momma hen round up the babies...so they have effectively closed off the run with their bodies [​IMG] both had babies under them...babies between them...and I seriously couldnt imagine how to move them. I cant even really reach them without hurting them?
    Then I was looking in the run I had sectioned off before and noticed there were spaces in the boards...large enough for the chicks to fall through. And gave up.
    I am thinking I will just let them be? They seem to be figuring it out and helping each other?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by