5 chickens 4 eggs daily?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by howellchickens, Oct 30, 2016.

1. howellchickens

howellchickens New Egg

Oct 30, 2016
    I decided to join BYC because I realize I come to this site to find answers to my questions quite often. I have a few questions and need some answers.

I have five chickens, 2 Rhode Island reds, barred rock, golden sex link, and an Orpington. I get 4 eggs pretty much daily. Not sure why and I know they are all hens. Is this normal?

I have half the coop with a temporary roof to keep out the rain. The floor is dirt with grass clippings and food scraps. It gets wet, doesn't smell but I'm concerned that it might be too wet. Can the floor be too wet for the chickens? (We live around Sacramento).

[​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, howellchickens, and :welcome! Great to have you with us! 4 eggs from 5 birds is pretty typical for in their prime, first year layers. I assume you get 5 in a day once in awhile? You will likely find production will decrease with shortened hours of daylight, colder temps, and/or the molt.
    I terms of your coop floor, sustained mud isn't good for birds. Lots of folks put down sand for drainage.
    You can touch base with other CA chicken keepers in your state thread in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :)

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    food scraps on wet ground will end up being moldy. Moldy food is very toxic to chickens.

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! 4 eggs a day sounds pretty typical for the breeds you have there. Sex links are excellent layers, but the Orpingtons and Barred Rocks do not have as good production, so four sounds reasonable. I have 19 hens all of laying age, and I get about 14 eggs a day from them. They are all like yours, heavy, dual purpose heritage breeds that just are not bred for production like Leghorns. I hope you enjoy BYC!

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Maybe do a search for "keeping your run dry" or something like that and see what pops up. There may be some additional info that helps.

Best wishes
    CT

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by