1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

5 chickens - 4 eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dtchick, Jan 2, 2010.

1. dtchick

dtchick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2009
    I have five red star hens who have been laying for about 6 weeks now. They've gotten quite dependable but our typical yield is 4 eggs a day. Is this because one isn't laying or is this just the average? I'm not worried about getting more eggs; we average 25 or so a week, but I'm curious as to why we never have a five egg day. Any ideas?

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    It's just their cycles. One is taking the day off while the other 4 work, each day. it's typical. Hope this helps [​IMG]

3. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    Quote:i Agree! [​IMG]

4. meathook

meathook Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2009
    I have 5 red stars and 1 EE they were 20 weeks old Monday they started laying at just over 17 weeks and the EE was in week 20. They are doing great with 4 or 5 eggs a day. We were wondering the same thing though is it one hen who isn't laying or are they just sharing the load. [​IMG] Keeping our fingers crossed for a 100% day just to be sure.

5. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    [​IMG] ,dtchick and meathook

6. meathook

meathook Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2009
    Well I guess I just needed to post something to get 100%. I usually go out to do one last check on the girls, lock the man door and turn out the light before I go to bed. It is single digits here so I am going to leave the light on tonight. Anyway, there in the middle of the floor was a soft shell egg so that makes six for the day. We have had our share of soft shells sometimes two at a time as their systems are getting fired up. Iwas hoping we were done with them. Still waiting for 100% hard shell.

I wish I could tell who was laying what. I wonder if most of the soft shells are coming from one hen or are they all doing a few as they start to lay?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by