5 chickens - Almost 2 weeks old - All similar in coloring - What breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Miklen, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Miklen

Miklen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2014
    SW Austin, TX
    These guys are 12 days old in these pictures. I got 2 different assortments (bantam and "rare") at the same time and have spent a lot of time in front of the computer the last 2 weeks comparing pictures to try to get everyone sorted out.
    I think I've identified everyone I was sent other than these 5, which are driving me crazy. I'm hoping someone on here could help me out.

The 2 in these first couple of pictures are fairly large chickens, and I'm not sure they're the same breed. The one with the poofy cheeks (on the right) makes me think EE. They're along the same size as the Delawares/Wyandottes (same age) are at the moment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These other 3 are tiny, like bantam tiny, but they don't look like any of the bantam breeds I've seen pictures of. The markings on all 3 are almost identical to one another. To me they look sort of like Sicilian Buttercups (which I know are fairly small) except for the sharp brown/black "V" on their heads. I don't see that V in any pictures I've seen online. These 3 seem to be particularly skittish...moreso than any of my other chicks that came with them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dianegaz

dianegaz New Egg

Jul 3, 2013
    I have no idea what breed they are, but they are adorable!

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    My first thoughts were Sicilian Buttercups or Campines.

The smaller ones really look like they could be Campines
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Camp/BRKCampine.html

It's really hard to see the combs in the photos (BTW, NICE photos...obviously you've had a photo class or two...good black drop and lighting).

Comb types will help you sort further.

Sicilian Buttercups will already have the base for the bigger buttercup comb they are to get. Campines have single comb.

Single combs will be a single row of "teeth" or a ridge down the middle. Rose combs at this age will look like a flat inverted horseshoe with a dent in the middle of the forehead...oriented so that the luck runs out down the beak. Pea combs will look a lot like the single comb with a ridge down the middle, but the bumps are tiny and look like tiny rows of peas as opposed to "tooth mountains." It's hard to tell a single from a pea comb at this age...the pea comb has a broader base.

Here's photos of the Sicilian Buttercup...scroll to bottom to see what the combs should look like in a couple of weeks.
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/BCup/BRKButtercup.html

Pretty chicks.

[​IMG]

Lady of McCamley

4. Miklen

Mar 3, 2014
    SW Austin, TX
    Didn't even think to look at the combs. I thought they wouldn't be large enough at this age to tell anything, but I think you're right about the small ones being Campines....though the 2 week pictures on that link are a little small to be able to see well. I think one of the big ones may be a Buttercup. Maybe? Seems weird to me since she's easily half again as big as the 3 small ones yet both breeds get to about the same size as adults.

These pictures are all from today, so they are now exactly 2 weeks old.

2 of the 3 smaller ones have almost no comb to speak of, but the 3rd has a very distinct single line on (his?) comb.
    Small one's comb from the side:
    [​IMG]
    From the front:
    [​IMG]
    One of the other small ones with an indistinguishable comb. She wouldn't face forward for me:
    [​IMG]

On the big one from above (without poofy cheeks), it looks to me as if she has more of a horseshoe shape.
    Side one:
    [​IMG]
    Side two (She wouldn't face forward either):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Top 2 are single combs...the large one is likely indication of male at this age but without breed certainty I wouldn't call it yet. Single comb would go with Campine.

The bottom one is a rose or possibly a buttercup comb. Watch to see if it begins to take shape into a buttercup as that will be your Sicilian.

If any of them have green legs and poofy cheeks, they could be Easter Eggers, but I don't think I saw indications of that in the photos.

Post a photo of the one you say has poofy cheeks. If that is a beard/muff, and green legs...Easter Egger. If it has pea comb, then high chance of green/blue eggs if it female.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  6. Miklen

Mar 3, 2014
    SW Austin, TX
    The poofy one is the right side chick in the first set of pictures in the first post. She's one of the 2 larger, but somewhat similarly colored ones.

Below are 2 closeups and a full body shot from just now. She definitely has greenish legs, whereas the other large one seems to have light slate legs, and the 3 small ones have dark slate legs. I can't see a comb on her (but then again, these are my first chickens so I'm not the best at knowing what to look for).

Frontal Closeup
    [​IMG]

Side Closeup
    [​IMG]

The whole package
    [​IMG]

7. imthegrt1

imthegrt1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2014
    Meade county
    Cool looking chicks

8. tracytheone

tracytheone Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2014
    uk lancashire
    aw there gorgeous little things !

9. Miklen

Mar 3, 2014
    SW Austin, TX
    Thanks. Trying to get as many pictures in while they're still in the adorable stage before they hit the awkward teenager stage. ;) Plus it helps me document and keep track of who's who.

10. CarolinaHen

CarolinaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    South Carolina
    When you look at the one with the green or slate legs, they look like they may have pea combs. If it is a male, you will be able to see three rows. It will look like a row of garden peas in the middle and the pea shell on both sides. Females will only have one row of peas. I know that is a simplistic way to explain it, but it's the way I was taught and it hasn't failed me yet [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by