5 chickens found headless. please help!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Vinchinzo, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Vinchinzo

Vinchinzo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2014
    Lake city, fl
    All the bodies and heads were still in the coop this morning. My coop/run is buried 6 inches down and nothing dug under. The only openings more than a quarter of an inch are 5 feet up. The roof is mostly covered. What would have done this and not eaten them?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don’t know how big the openings are 5 feet up, but most predators can climb. Owls may fly in. Lots of predators can go for the head.

That sounds a lot like a weasel. They can squeeze through tiny openings and can climb really well. Depending on how big those openings are, a raccoon sounds possible. Raccoons can climb really well also. But I'd think weasel with that description.

3. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    Prob a fisher cat

4. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Were any parts eaten?

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I vote weasel. Same family as fisher cats, and mink, but smaller. A mink will take a whole bird (neighbor experienced this) or eat just the head, also. I do know that weasels can get through very small openings.

6. Vinchinzo

Vinchinzo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2014
    Lake city, fl
    Hmmm, I didnt think we had weasels in Florida. Ive lived in the florida country all my life and have never seen or heard of them around. I guess a coon could have made his way in if they climb. Guess I need to go buy more chicken wire and put up a scarecrow. Thanks for the help.

7. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Chicken wire will only hold back your chickens, not most predators...

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Agreed - and a scarecrow won't do anything but decorate your yard. It may deter a critter for a day or two, but they will eventually figure out that it's not a threat. You will want welded wire or hardware cloth where you plan on putting your chicken wire. By "welded wire" I mean the kind with the 2x4" rectangles (that won't keep out a weasel). If you can afford it, 1/2" hardware cloth is better protection. How big are the openings higher up on your coop?

9. FarmerMac

FarmerMac Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2014
    Virginia
    I prefer hardware cloth to stop predators, I use the 1/2 X 1/2 square on my coops walls and vents.

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I have it over my windows and around the bottom 24" of my runs. The runs are 12'x16'x6', so for me the cost to put it all the way around would be cost prohibitive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by