5 Chicks - 50#, 20#, or 10# of starter/grower?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by we3ernes, Jan 13, 2013.

1. we3ernes

we3ernes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2013
    North Central Texas
    If I am only buying 5 chicks (probably red sex-link) what size bag of feed should I purchase? I've read through this forum, the reviews, and the learning center, but I've yet to find how much I can expect a chick to consume. If I buy a 50# bag, and they don't use it all before they start laying, can I continue to mix the starter in with the layer until it is used up? How long will a bag of food last if it is kept well? If I'm using 50# over 18-22 weeks will it start to spoil/mold/sprout?

Thanks for helping this newby out!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Actually, yes, 5 chicks will easily eat 50 pounds over the 5 months it takes them to reach laying age. Especially at the 12-18 week mark, they'll devour feed, for sure.

That said, I'd probably steer you toward the 20# bag. Hopefully you've done the math and have seen whether the price per pound is better than the smaller bags. To me, freshness also counts for a lot. I'd start with the 20# and then buy a 50# when their eating increases.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    [​IMG]

It is much cheaper to buy 50# but you may want to go with 20 and see how long that lasts you. If you have leftover feed, you can continue to feed it once they are switched to layer. I think when I first has chickens and only had 5 I only got 25 lbs. Now I get about 100 lbs a week.

The only reference I've seen is they'll eat about 10 lbs in the first 10 weeks. Check the date on the bag, usually they have the date is was bagged. I've seen some OLD feed at big stores. If you go to a local store, it is more likely that it will be fresh. As long as you keep the feed in a cool, dry place, it should be fine for a while. Make sure you look at it and even smell it to make sure its still good if you get 50 lbs. Congrats on your babies.

1 person likes this.
  4. we3ernes

we3ernes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2013
    North Central Texas
    Thank you both very much. The 10# per chick was the number I was looking for. If I buy two of the twenty pound bags it is still cheaper than the fifty, so that sounds like the way to go. I'd rather feed fresher, but didn't want to be running to the store twice a week either! Still investigating the two local feed stores and creating a budget right now.

5. rambunctious

rambunctious Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    Ohio
    Now I'm confused. I thought you fed medicated (or un-medicated) chick feed for "X" amount of time then to a 'grower' then to a 'layer' and maintain a 'layer' feed. I'm getting 15 in a lil over 2 weeks and I want to make sure I have it all ready. I'll be calling my local feed stores (places other than tractor supply) to get costs.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

There is a multitude of ways to feed the flock. Too many ways to discuss them all, but some folks feed Starter all the way to adulthood. Others, feed Starter, then switch to a Gower and feed that to adulthood. Still other folks feed Flock Raiser or an All Flock type feed to everyone, at all stages of life. There isn't just one way to do this.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You can feed medicated chick starter up until they are old enough to lay eggs. Some people switch to grower, some don't. Grower is the same as layer feed, only it doesn't have the extra calcium. You don't want young chicks to have layer feed, as the high calcium can cause organ damage - their bodies aren't ready for the extra calcium.

8. rambunctious

rambunctious Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    Ohio
    Thank you Happy Chooks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by