5 Chicks but don't know which are hen or roos

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BelenFamily, Feb 22, 2015.

1. BelenFamily

BelenFamily Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    Okay so we are new to this and these are our 1st set of chicks. We were told that they are all 2 weeks old and that the 1st top photo is a Silkie, 2nd top is an Easter Egger, 1st bottom is also an Easter Egger and last photo are our two Rhode Island Reds. We went to get these without doing our "sex link" homework Oops! And now we might have more Roos then Hens (if any). And our purpose was to get hens for eggs. I'm not sure if 2 weeks old is too young to tell. One of the R.R and the White/Yellow E.E are the toughest ones but I would have thought that the white/yellow E.E was a female and the darker E.E was a male. But like I said we are completely new to all this. And since we only got one Silkie I can't really compare but so far it's the calmest one of them all. We were only supposed to buy 4 but once I saw the Silkie and those eyes I just couldn't help my self. I fell in love :) I will attach more photos maybe someone can help us out here.. Thanks a bunch.. Oh and I don't know if it makes a difference but one of the R.R tails are kind of pointy-ish and the other is a bit rounder. And [​IMG]

R.R
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MY SILKIE:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And the E.E:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

ALL 5:
    [​IMG]

2. mmmyyykkkeee

mmmyyykkkeee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2015
    Welcome! You have lovely birds! I think for these kind of breed, it's too early to tell which ones are hens and which are roos. That's my opinion at least.

Sometimes even the chicks are 4-6 weeks old, it still hard to determine their sexes. Unless they show clues like very large combs and wattles. I'm not really an expert so i'm sure some folks have better answers.

I have a 10 week old bbs and i still could't tell his/her gender.lol

1 person likes this.
  3. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    You did a fantastic job with the photos! Those a beautiful chicks!

It may be as long as 10-16 weeks before you'll be able to determine the gender of the chicks. The EE may be the hardest as they have small "pea" combs. [​IMG]

If the RIR begin to have reddish combs early (around 4-8 weeks) they're probably males, as the comb on males gets redder and larger much faster than it does on females.

4. ladybead

ladybead Out Of The Brooder

The are so cute. Sorry I don't know how to sex them, but I love the idea of a branch for them to roost on. Rose

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    They are too young to sex. Your "silkie" is a mix though.

6. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    just call them, 'here girl here girl'......the ones that come obviously are the hens.......

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sorry, I just couldn't resist it

7. RitzHomestead

RitzHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA

Haha! Yes!

8. BelenFamily

Feb 22, 2015
    Thank you @keesmom I've heard now aside finding out if it's a male or female I have to figure out what my silkie is crossed with.. This will be fun lol [​IMG]

9. BelenFamily

Feb 22, 2015
    Haha..[​IMG] @PapaChaz

Yeah, I just assume the ones I want to be girls are girls for now lol and since our kids wanted to start naming the chicks already we tried to keep the names neutral but my daughter was set on naming her chick (the light E.E) Princess so yes I am dying to find out if we will have a Rooster named Princess.. [​IMG]

10. BelenFamily

Feb 22, 2015
    Thanks @ladybead , yeah our dog is consistently bringing in sticks so we figure why not let the chicks have some fun with them too. We place it in the bin when they are playing inside but we have it set up different when they play outside.

And we've only had them 1 week but I must admit I love how playful they are, before we got them I didn't know they would be so much fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by