5 chicks dead in last month

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilkieCanada, Aug 25, 2011.

1. SilkieCanada

SilkieCanada Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    Is it normal for chicks under 1 month of age to die? I see no signs at all of any illness. I open the shed in the morning and I find a dead chick. Its the 5th one in a month. I suspected cold weather but its also happening on warmer nights. Poops look normal, birds act normal. No older birds died. Whats the normal death rate with young chicks?

2. Denisemomof4

Denisemomof4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2011
    I'm a newbie so take that into consideration, but chicks need to be kept VERY warm. Do you have a heat light for them?

ETA: You can buy a thermometer to measure the temp. With chicks that young, I *always* keep them inside. They must stay warm.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  3. SilkieCanada

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    Quote:I have them sitting under this
    [​IMG]

4. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    I've only raised 1 group of chicks so far (I have 12 more coming in next week) but...like Denise said, they need to be kept warm. I wouldn't recommend moving them outside until they are feathered, like 8 + weeks. Good rule of thumb, start them at 95 degrees F then decrease temp by 5 degrees F each week.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  5. SilkieCanada

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    Quote:oh jesus. Ok I think you guys are right. Im an idiot. [​IMG]

6. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    It's a learning process...did you see my addition to my previous post about the temp?

7. SilkieCanada

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    Quote:yes thank you. Although I have found some dead under the heater too. Not in groups but I think a couple weeks apart there where 2 that died directly under the heater.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by