5 chicks dead in last month

SilkieCanada

Songster
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
calgary
Is it normal for chicks under 1 month of age to die? I see no signs at all of any illness. I open the shed in the morning and I find a dead chick. Its the 5th one in a month. I suspected cold weather but its also happening on warmer nights. Poops look normal, birds act normal. No older birds died. Whats the normal death rate with young chicks?

Denisemomof4

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 29, 2011
I'm a newbie so take that into consideration, but chicks need to be kept VERY warm. Do you have a heat light for them?

ETA: You can buy a thermometer to measure the temp. With chicks that young, I *always* keep them inside. They must stay warm.

Last edited:

SilkieCanada

Songster
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
calgary
Quote:
I have them sitting under this
ecoglow%20with%20chicks%20web.jpg

GoldDogsMom

Songster
8 Years
Aug 10, 2011
Indiana, PA
I've only raised 1 group of chicks so far (I have 12 more coming in next week) but...like Denise said, they need to be kept warm. I wouldn't recommend moving them outside until they are feathered, like 8 + weeks. Good rule of thumb, start them at 95 degrees F then decrease temp by 5 degrees F each week.

Last edited:

SilkieCanada

Songster
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
calgary
Quote:
yes thank you. Although I have found some dead under the heater too. Not in groups but I think a couple weeks apart there where 2 that died directly under the heater.

Top Bottom