5 chicks dead with in an hour

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lnm03, May 18, 2010.

1. lnm03

lnm03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    We ordered 20 assorted bantams and 4 barred rock and 1 new hampshire red. We have had them for a week and all have been doing GREAT until tonight. I got home at 5:30 changed feed and water and at 6:30 we had one dead 2 panting and couldnt stand walked back to check on them after giving them water and they were dead plus two that had no signs. I now have another panting and cant stand. What do I do? Any ideas on what is wrong???

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    what is the temp in the brooder box? what kind of shavings are you using?

3. lnm03

Oct 6, 2008
    temp is 91 and were using pine shavings

4. Stevo

Stevo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Howell, NJ
    Is it unusually hot there? If not it sounds like a respirotory problem. Hopefully someone with more expeariance can chime in and help.

5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Do they have an area that they can get away from the heat light if they want to?

6. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    did you cook with teflon?
    did you spray or use any cleaning products?
    chicks are very very suceptible to anything respiratory
    sorry for your losses!

7. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    hummm, poor babies! i would just maybe put some vit's in the water. maybe the trip is just getting to them? keep us posted.............

8. lnm03

Oct 6, 2008
    no cleaning supplies have been used.....yes they can get away from light......and no teflon [​IMG]

9. lnm03

Oct 6, 2008
    if its respiratory what do i do?

10. Barred Rocker

Barred Rocker cracked egg

Jul 15, 2009
    King and Queen Co, Va
    You said this happened shortly after giving them water? Do you think something contaminated it or did someone use bleach or something to clean the water container. Chicks can't tolerate very much chemical contamination. Sounds like either respiratory problem or something bad in the water. You might want to investigate especially if your family is drinking the same water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by