5 chicks need identifying

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KDailey, Jun 29, 2011.

1. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I've got 5 3-day old chicks that need identifying. I started with 6 but my little silkie passed over the rainbow bridge.
    I'd like to know their breed and if possible gender but I know that's pretty hard at this age. I'm pretty sure they're all roo's except for the last one. Her comb isn't nearly as pronounced as the others, and all the others have a little bump on their legs where I'm thinkin their spurs will come in while the last one does not. But I could be wrong. I'm new to this.

Chick #1: Have been told it's a cuckoo marans but I've seen pictures of other breeds that look extremely similar. Suspected roo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #2: Cuckoo Marans (?) suspected roo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #3: Cuckoo Marans (?) suspected roo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #4: Unknown, suspected roo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #5: Unknown, suspected hen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    What a bunch of cuties!!! It's a little early to be using the comb to try to determine sex. And pretty much all chickens have spur bumps. Some hens can even get spurs. I had a speckled Sussex hen that had 2 1/2 inch wicked sharp spurs. Where did your chicks come from?

3. KDailey

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I just ordered 20 chicks from Ideal. Yay! I got 5 more than originally planned just because I couldn't decide completely. Hopefully I can integrate these guys fairly easy with them being so young [​IMG]

I know it's pretty early to determine sex but there just seems to be such a huge difference between the combs of the first 4 and the comb of the last chick. Like a big difference. I can barely find the comb on the last one but the others' are very easy to see.

4. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    That last chick looks like a game bird..
    I had to Bantam chicks that looked just like her when they were babies and they grew into Black Breasted Red OEGB hens!

5. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Wow, KDailey, they sure are cute little fluffballs!
    Did you get a mixed staight run assortment? Don't go by comb size on chicks this age for sexing.
    I am no expert on Marans, not having had them. You may wan to post standing photos of them that show their legs better and more exposed coloration--my feeling is that the boys will be lighter especially a less distinct larger white spot on the head to neck and have less coloration on the front of their legs where a girls will be darker, have less white and a black wash on the front of the legs, kinda like a BR. If it is similar to BR than I would guess at least #2 is a girl. #3 has a lot of white in the face and reminds me of Black australorps but I don't remember them having a white spot on their head.
    Again no expert, but #4 looks kinda like a Golden Lakenvelder.
    #5--there are lots of breeds with chipmunk coloration. I can't see the comb but the fact that you say it is tiny makes me think it is not a straight comb but maybe pea or rose comb instead. Maybe a close-up shot of the comb might help with identification.

6. KDailey

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Thanks so much [​IMG]
    If you're correct then I would think I have at least one female cuckoo maran and one male cuckoo maran. The chick standing up tha has the dark on it's legs is the only one with that. None of the others have the black wash. The third with all the white could go either way I suppose unless it's the other breed you mentioned. I guess the chipmunk will just be unknown until it gets bigger.

7. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Sorry did not mean to post

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  8. kerrysmommy

kerrysmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    My house :]
    chick #5 is a americauna

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by