5 day chick panting and "calling for help"?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by becstalls, May 22, 2010.

1. becstalls

becstalls Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    I have a 5 day old chick that has been "calling for help" for the past hour in about 10 second bursts. It is not the normal soft cheeping, but a loud call. She is panting and gaping as well. The brooder is about 90 degrees. None of the other chicks seem to be having a problem. I'm new to this so I have zero idea what the problem could be. I do have experience mist-netting wild songbirds for research, so I know the panting and gaping are bad signs. The call sounds like a distress call to me. What should I do?

Thanks!!

2. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Have you separated it? Might do that first so you can tell if its eating and drinking and how its poop is. Thats about all I have but maybe this will bump your post so another with more experience will have some answers

3. hawtchick

hawtchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Can she get away from the heat lamp? she may be too hot. Is there plenty of clean water and food for her to get to? Hope she calms down for you. [​IMG]

4. becstalls

May 22, 2010
    The brooder is large, so there's plenty of space in the heat or out, I even put in a place to hide. I'd been handling her for a bit, and she pooped on me just a few minutes before this all started. It was the same color as all of the rest of the chick's poops, but it was all solid, there was no liquid part. I'll try to keep an eye on her!

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  5. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Could she have eaten too many shavings and its impacting her little crop? Has she eaten well? I would try a little hard cooked or scrambled egg and see if she'll eat. Poor little thing I hope she is OK!

6. becstalls

May 22, 2010
    I soaked a paper towel and put little drops of water on her bill, which she would drink. She's not calling much now, which I don't know is good or bad. She's still panting, but not gaping. She's standing there with her eyes closed. I don't know if she's genuinely sleeping or not. I'm hoping the water helped. It might seem silly, but please pray for my little chickie!

7. moderndayhippy

moderndayhippy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2010
    Quote:That's not silly at all. I just said a prayer for your little one. [​IMG]

8. becstalls

May 22, 2010
    Thanks for the help everyone! She made it through the night and seems more or less OK now! [​IMG] She is sleeping the same as the others and WITH the others, which she had stopped, and she is eating and scratching. I haven't seen her drink yet, which I'm going to keep a close eye on, because I think she may have been dehydrated. Thanks again for the advice and prayers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by