5 day nigerian dwarf kid....questions...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sgarrison, Jan 31, 2009.

1. sgarrison

sgarrison Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2008
    Slate Hill, NY
    We recently adopted a Nigerian dwarf doe (we already had 2 wethers) from a local shelter, someone had abandoned her, the shelter knew nothing about goats, put an ad in the paper, and of course we took her (whats one more?[​IMG]
    About a month ago we suspected she might be pregnant, and Monday night (surprise!) we had 2 little bucks.....the delivery was problematic, we ended up having to bring her to the vet and they had to be pulled out.....the first baby died after 24 hrs and much heartache....
    So we now have a 5 day old kid, who has been doing very well, but we know nothing about goat kids! Today he has been trying to nurse constantly, and the mom keeps walking away and not letting him....she was very attentive until now....we tried to bottle feed him some formula today but he was absolutely not interested!
    Also we just put them back in with the boys, who are mostly ignoring him, but one did butt him when he was in the way....we gave the baby a little box that only he can fit in, and he is using it to take his naps, so at least he has a little safe place....
    Does anyone have advice on normal kid behavior, etc? We have spent the better part of the week watching them, I haven't even wanted to leave to get on the computer! HELP PLEASE!!!!!

2. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

as long as he's not gettin weak on you, he should be fine. After they get a lil age on them, some try to be lil piglets and the mom will walk off she' knows how much they need. But make sure thats she's not abandoned him all together. Puttin them back with the rest was a good thing I normally kept mine seperate for the first few days. Its good to get them back and they learn whos boss and get to mingle. Let us know and keep us posted on his progress and if you have any more problems just hollar I used to raise pigmy goats.

3. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    So sorry you lost one of the little guys! Darn it all...

This all sounds normal to me. We keep our kids in a stall with mom for 4-6 days, depending on how well they're doing...then turn them out in the nursery pen with other expecting moms and moms with kids at their sides. There will be the occasional butt...but it's normal.

As the other poster said, as long as the kid looks and acts good, it's probably getting enough. Check mom's teats, though, she might be sore...bag balm could help. (look for redness or even sores)

4. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Yeah forgot to mention that...make sure to check her bag...if its red and hot she may be gettin mastitis. But it does sound normal. No need to be alarmed yet.

5. sgarrison

sgarrison Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2008
    Slate Hill, NY
    Thanks all! I will try the bag balm now and keep you posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by