5 day old Ameraucana pullet- dark brown discharge from nose, possibly blood

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BynSilo, Feb 10, 2014.

1. BynSilo

BynSilo New Egg

Feb 9, 2014
    Hey there BYC,
    First time poster, here!
    Unfortunately, it's because of a sick-looking 5 day old.
    A few things to mention before I go on about what's happening this morning.
    -on days 2 and 3 she was very weak and not eating or drinking on her own, so we separated her from the others in the brooder, fed her scrambled eggs with milk and starter mixed in with an eye dropper and made her drink water every so often throughout the day. At the end of day 3, she was doing GREAT! She was eating and drinking like champ with the others and seemed really strong! We were so proud of our "little girl"... Until this morning...
    Went down to feed and water and she was standing around with her eyes closed, acting somewhat lethargic. I picked her up and it looks like she had been bleeding from her nose. I have now separated her again, but still inside he brooder, but I'm not sure what it could be or what to do next. Help! Here's picture of her face before I cleaned it off.. [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Can tell us her background--did you hatch her, or did she get shipped from a hatchery? Do you think she was pecked by one of the other chicks because she is lethargic?

3. BynSilo

BynSilo New Egg

Feb 9, 2014
    She was shipped from a hatchery. Hatched last Wednesday and we got her Thursday. They seemed to be leaving her alone since she recovered from her first bout of weakness, but i can't be sure what happened overnight. It really looks like whatever it is, is coming out of her nose.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Bloody mucus coming from a chick's nose would be pretty rare--especially from a hatchery since they have to keep things very clean or they will go out of business. Get them on some electrolytes and vitamins for a few days--you can find some at the feedstore, or you can mix your own here: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-heat-stress-dehydration-and.html and then just use some liquid baby vitamins without iron--2 drops daily by mouth.

5. BynSilo

BynSilo New Egg

Feb 9, 2014
    Okay, so I've given her the two drops of infant vitamins and some electrolytes. She HAS perked up some but She still refuses to drink the water or electrolytes on her own.. So I sit here and give them to her in an eye dropper. It's almost like she expects it that way, then opens her beak wanting more. The first time I was feeding her with the dropper, I was afraid she'd become dependent on me but she snapped out of it. I'm guessing that will be the same for this, so I'll drop it in as long as she needs. Thanks so much for your advice. I'll update as anything happens to make sure I'm on the right track! What a great online community to be a part of... :) any comments on anything I'm doing is greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  6. BynSilo

BynSilo New Egg

Feb 9, 2014
    To add to my last post--- I gave her some more electrolytes and, I didn't know chickens could, but she threw up... It was liquid and a couple tiny pieces of chick starter... She's on her feet but still lethargic.. I'm afraid I'm going to lose her.. Could I have given her too much electrolyte? Sorry for my lack of knowledge being a newbie...

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would try to dip her beak into the water an let her swallow each mouthful. Dropper feeding can cause them to aspirate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by