5 day old Australorp acting weird HELP PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rasuka, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Rasuka

Rasuka Out Of The Brooder

She was doing great today. I had company over and the little kiddies wanted to play with them so I let all my 6 babies on the floor. I made sure that the smaller kids could only watch, not hold them. But this one... After the company left.. She was spreading out her wings, and when she breathes it's VERY dynamic about it. When she inhales and exhales it's very exagerated. I kept the tempt. on 88-95... But I thought she was too HOT! So now it's at a 85... The others are doing great, but it's only her! My sis tried to hand feed her water but she didn't do too much. She slept next to the water-er and would get up to drink once. Then she moved into another corner.. I don't know what I've been doing wrong. I gave them from Meal Worm Treats, after some chick grit. Here are some pics of her. I really don't know what to do!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm REALLY at a loss... This is my very first time to raise baby chicks. I hope I'm not making them suffer....

2. FarmTillURdead

FarmTillURdead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2012
    Centerville, KS
    Make sure your chicks can get away from the heat if they need too. I use a light bulb at one end of a rubbermaid storge bin. If a chick gets cold they peep and run around until they find a warm place. Wings spread and panting sounds like it is hot. I have seen my chicks get hot from time to time when others aren't. I have had chicks adjust to cooler temps much faster than the hatcheries say they should (around 5 days). Just watch and see what makes it comfortable.
    If they get too cold they will make a fuss and you will hear it!
    Your chick looks allert in the photo and hot. If it starts bobbing it's head it is sick and I would then be sure to use medicted feed or medicate the water.

3. Rasuka

The heat is on the very right side. And their food & water is away from the heat lamp.
    They don't huddle they laze around some away from the lamp and some underneath it. That one in the pic, is doing a lot better. I don't have medicated chick food, because my dad bought chick feed from a feed store and it's not medicated, but if I bought the medicated I would be spending too much and get in trouble. Well, they chirp but it's not loud unless one flies into another other than that they are really quiet. The one in the picture wasn't bobbing her head. She would pant for 2 seconds and stop look and eat some more and go back to sleep. Then if the others all wake up then that one will follow them.

There are two that sleeps a lot. I have a yellow one that sleeps a lot, and that one in the pic. I don't think it's too hot because it's below 90.

4. FarmTillURdead

FarmTillURdead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2012
    Centerville, KS
    That's pretty much what baby chickens do! Your doing a good job! Watching close is the best thing you can do. Sounds like you have your tempature just right. I think your chickens will be just fine. Just so you know - a small bag of medicated chick feed costs under 4.00. But like I said... I think everything sounds normal. Perhaps this one is fuzzier than the others and just gets a little hotter. [​IMG]

5. Rasuka

Thank you for your help! I'll see if I can get to the tractor store to look at some little bag of medicated feed. If I over spend I'll get "the look" from my grandma. ^^ She will wonder why I'm spending this much on chickies!
    Let's see... The one that I was worried about is the biggest chick in the brooder.
    The yellow is the second largest. The rest are bits smaller in size wise. Maybe that's why.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by