5 day old babies for a newbie

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jculpepper, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Jculpepper

Jculpepper Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2015
    Hello everyone :) We just got 12 babies today. My brooder is 3 feet wide, 4 feet long and 2 feet tall. I live in Louisiana and it is pretty hot already outside. I am having trouble getting the right temperature in the brooder. If you look at the picture, the elevated area is at 95. Close to the food area it is 85. Is this ok? Chick's seem to be happy. They have been rotating napping on top of the elevated area and by the food.

2. Jculpepper

Feb 11, 2015
    Can't post the picture from my phone :-(

3. in2camo

in2camo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2015
    Northern Utah
    I haven't had any problem with the chicks finding their correct temperature zone. They'll move to where they're comfortable. You shouldn't worry too much.

1 person likes this.
  4. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    That will be fine. Theyare not cold or they would stay at the heat source. Watch the babies they will twll you what they need. Welcome to BYC, we are here to help.

1 person likes this.
  5. Jculpepper

Feb 11, 2015
    How do you know if they areto hot ?

6. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    They will lay sprawled out loke they are trying to get a tan. LOL. Sometimes they will do that to suck up heat too. If you find them looking like they are spending all their time away from the heat source they are probably too hot. Raise the light to cool it off a bit.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by