1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

5 day old barred rocks. Hoping for pullets!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by murmagmazy, Feb 28, 2015.

1. murmagmazy

murmagmazy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2013
    [​IMG]

All babies have some black wash on their legs. None of them look obviously yellow.
    Thanks in advance!

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Too early to tell, but would guess they are all girls. The legs, I think, are the best judge. Some with large white/yellow spots can be girls - I have 2 who proved it to me.

Keeping my fingers crossed for all girls.

3. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
  4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    The rules for Barred Rocks work best with breeder stock. Hatchery stock has so many variations and nonSOP standards because they breed for volume and for laying and for quick maturing.

That skews results, so the BR chick gender rules are more like "guidelines" and general rule of thumb that fail.

The best indicator is to watch for comb development. The roo's get big red combs pretty fast and should look more silvery as the double barring makes them lighter. Some fast maturing hatchery girls can fool you though and hatchery stock can not be barred correctly either.

Watch and wait is my advice.
    LofMc

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    It's too early to tell, sorry!

6. sissybug

sissybug Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2015
    Kingsburg Ca
    Can anyone tell me what mine is? It's so post to be 2 weeks old but way smaller then all the other chicks I have. I was told it was a BR?[​IMG]

7. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    That looks about right...although I can't see the comb...I am assuming it is a single comb...if so, then it looks to be a Barred Rock.

If it is much smaller, it is possible it is a bantam as BR come in bantam as well.

LofMc

8. sissybug

sissybug Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2015
    Kingsburg Ca
    Wow that makes alote of sense! It is so much smaller then the others. I also have a supposedly leg horn that is the exact same size as the picture I posted. So much smaller then then all the others , would that one be a bantam also? I am new with all this and I dont even know how to start my own question . I only know how to post on someone else's question? I am on my phone not a computer, everything I have read explains how from your computer not you iphone?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  9. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Yes, Leghorn come in bantam size too. Almost all breeds have a bantam size.

You should be able to see a button to start a new post to the left...be sure you are on mobile phone and not pc mode. I think that toggle is at the bottom if you scroll down.

LofMc

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

Wait until they are more feathered in, around 6 weeks or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by